Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 August 2002 15:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams The old ones are the best ones: - Im currently having a debate over weekly vehicle checks oil, water, tyres etc. They are required under the road traffic legislation, but no one actually trains you on how to do it as part of your driving test or theory training do they? Therefore if you have to do it as a company car/van driver is the employer expected to train you in it? Under the PUWER regg Reg 9 there is a requirement to provide training. Comments Please? Ashley
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 August 2002 13:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Rees Ashley, I am having similar conversations at my workplace, and was interested to see your reference to Road Traffic Act requirements for checks etc. What requirements are you referring to?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 August 2002 15:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams Sorry, My mistake I was actually meaning: - Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations Road Vehicle Construction and Use Regulations and finally my favourite The Vehicle Excise Act Ashley
Admin  
#4 Posted : 14 August 2002 09:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Scott Ashley, You've answered your own question really. Any Company car, van, lorry etc is work equipment under PUWER and therefore maintenance and inspection is a requirement as is training. As an aside, our Company solicitors have been in discussion with the HSE regarding 'cash for car' options and the HSE are adamant that these are also work equipment and require maintenance, inspection and training also. Food for thought!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 14 August 2002 10:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick House Hi Ashley Having used a driver awareness programme recommended to me by our fleet isurers, I found that after the initial theory section of the course, when the instructor went to any of our drivers vehicles, the first thing they did before they went anywhere on the practical (driving) area of the training was to ask the driver to do a routine check on the vehicle. They then guided them round all the main areas that should be checked regularly - oil, water, washer bottles, lights, tyres etc, etc. I have to say that I had a lot of positive feedback from this course from those who attended. This should be a handy way of issuing the necessary training, without more expperienced (and perhaps more mechanically minded) drivers feeling patronised. If you want the details of the training company, let me know and I'll forward you the details. As an aside, it also reduces your insurance premiums (by up to 30%), so if you have to justify the training expense, there is the perfect answer. Regards, Nick.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 14 August 2002 11:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By sylvia The Highway Code contains summary lists of driver check items to comply with the basic CUR (Construction & Use Regs). See pages 89-91. All of the Code is required knowledge for the Theory test. In conjunction with the vehicle handbook this should be sufficient for most people / managers to devise a simple vehicle-specific checklist. It should also include checking the first aid / emergency kit if provided too, but that would be a company policy thing. I am assuming a current copy of HCode is also supplied (?). I agree that knowing the theory and actual practical ability aren't the same - many can fall at the first hurdle ie. opening the bonnet!! Any ADI (Approved Driving Instructor) worth their salt will take anyone through the process of such checks, but they do expect to be paid, and most student drivers simply want as little as possible to get through their driving test, and you're not going to be tested on it! More advanced driver training programmes should include it - it can be made part of the spec. So to comply with the PUWER part, I would suggest a checklist per vehicle, and a physical demo by a competent person. If it's the person's own vehicle, they should demo to the observer. Crashes due to mechanical failure (alone) are a low proportion - driver error and the environment (road, weather) being far more significant.