Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 August 2002 14:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods An operative clearing a right of way has been attacked by a swarm of wasps. Has anyone come across a similar problem? What was the outcome? Comments and advice please.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 August 2002 15:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone At my last workplace we had rangers working out and about with strimmers and chainsaws. After several near misses and attacks we came up with they had to inspect areas they were going to work in for nests, if found then pest control were called to deal with problem. This worked fine for work done in specific areas but not if moving over large areas. The staff looked for wasps and hornets at all times and tried to keep out of their way, easier said than done. We kept a register of any staff member who could be allergic to stings and informed our first aiders on treatment just in case. All near missess and contact were logged for records.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 14 August 2002 13:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Pollington Having an allergy to wasp stings myself and having dealt with nests at home and at work I have built up some knowledge of the little stingy creatures. Generally wasps get bad press but are not naturally agressive, just short tempered. Ground nesting wasps are the worst and will attack if provoked, provacation can be anything that they feel threatened by, strimmers and mowers are common types of equipment that upsets them. If they have been disturbed the best policy is to leave them to calm down before taking action. For work situations or areas that need quick tretament, the local authority pest control department normally will attend fairly quickly if children or elderly people are at risk. They will Sting you (excuse the intended pun) for about £100 for a visit. For low risk activities or domestic nests, leave it until dusk when the nest activity is low and use ant powder or wasp powder at the entrance to the nest this will get dragged in during the following day and will kill the nest in 2-3 days. Needless to say that if you are doing this as part of your work activities it must be managed like any other activity. One other factor that has come about recently is the increase in large European wasps that are more agressive by nature, I don't know much about them though but hopefully someone can fill us in. I'll buzz off now. Chris
Admin  
#4 Posted : 14 August 2002 16:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Brede At a previous employer we had a problem when a bridge examiner looking at a road over rail bridge on a disused line was up a ladder and dropped his toolbag on a hornets nest below! There are duty of care issues on employers and clients to consider as well. How far can you take reducing risks ALARP especially in remote or abandoned areas? David Brede