Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 August 2002 15:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Gray
Can any one point me in the right direction with regards to the frequency of testing emergency lighting, and the type/duration of the testing.

We are getting conflicting information. We have the lights electrically tested annually but have been told that the lights should be switched on monthly and run until discharged (checking half hourly) to check that they are working correctly.

Thanks

Martin Gray
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 August 2002 14:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt
Dear Martin

This advice seems a bit demanding. The publication 'Fire Safety - an employers guide' which is the Home Office/HSE guide book states that emergency lighting equipment should be checked

- weekly - operate torches and replace batteries as required. Repair or replace any defective unit

- monthly - check all systems, units and torches for state of repair and apparent working order

- annually - full check and test of systems and units by competent service engineer. Replace batteries in torches.

I keep an eye on the red light that indicates that the emergency lights are charging.

Later in the same booklet they suggest you should follow the manufacturer's recommendations, which seems an excellent idea.

I, personally, would request someone who suggest that I discharged them completely each month to justify this, on two grounds. First that emergency lighting is only normally intended for escape purposes, and would therefore be for short timescales. Second, that completely discharging them every month leaves a substantial period in each month when they are not performing properly, while they are charging up again.

Jane

Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 August 2002 16:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martin Gray
Thanks Jane,

You have pointed me in the right direction and I shall act accordingly.

Martin
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 August 2002 17:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster
Martin
I agree with Jane. For my fire certificate, the local fire officer has approved the following for fixed, non-maintained emergency lighting units in stairways and escape routes

Monthly - functional check only
Annual - design duration discharge (3 hours in my case)
3 yearly - full discharge (must stay lit for at least 3 hours).

John
Admin  
#5 Posted : 04 September 2002 09:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Rees
You need to refer to the British Standard, BS
5266 Pt 1 1999. This details the types of emergency lighting, maintenance, records etc that are required.

There are also long-duration tests detailed within this document.

Pete
Admin  
#6 Posted : 05 September 2002 21:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Singleton BSc
Hi Martin

I have been led to believe that the purpose of doing a monthly discharge test is to recondition the batteries and extend their life. Like camcorder batteries they develop a memory and should be run down and then fully recharged to keep them working at peak performance

Regards Nigel