Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 August 2002 09:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter mcmahon I have been given a 20 minute slot in a board meeting to give my company directors an overview of Health and Safety. I would really like to put a bit of a fire under their seats and sweat on their brows..... Has anyone got a presentation with a bit of punch that would shake the notes from their wallets. Any suggestions for items to include or tales that have worked in the past for you send please them on. Also could clarify for me the current maximum penalty for management in Scotland re health and safety failures? What is happening with the new legislation covering corporate killing? Thanks Peter
Admin  
#2 Posted : 20 August 2002 12:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Lucas Peter Replied direct re: your first point. The current maximum penalty for management in Scotland re: health and safety failures is the same as in England, indeed the HSE have offices in Scotland. What is happening with the new legislation covering corporate killing - there is a website that provides fairly good up to date information on this issue, which is: www.corporateaccountability.org. Ken
Admin  
#3 Posted : 20 August 2002 14:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Scott Peter, I currently have to go before my main Board of Directors twice per annum. I have found that a format similar to the following may help; Current Accident Statistics - making comparisons with like industry (Accident Incidence Rate (AIR) for your Standard Industrial Classification (SIC). Recent changes and proposed changes in legislation that effect the Company. What may be needed to satisfy them. Any good news that you have say, maybe a good HSE Inspectors report or similar. General overview concentrating on the highest 4 - 6 health and safety risks within their empire. (If this is the first time you've done it it may be worth teaching them to suck eggs as it were, as they maynot be aware of the main health and safety risks within the Company. Certainly not all mine were not aware of the damage 210T LPG could make if an accident occurred!) Concentrate then on the current problems, normally by area/site, what significant advances there have been (if any) and finish with outstanding actions that may be stopped due to cash or impetous from them. For what its worth, that's my half pen'th and they all seem to appreciate the honesty that only someone from our level can give them. The very best of luck!