Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 August 2002 09:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Baker An employment agency is supplying temp workers ( one man through to whole gangs, but labour only ) to railway infrastructure maintenance companies. An auditor has stated that as full gangs may be supplied it is the responsibility of the employment agency to ensure welfare facilities are supplied rather than the maintenance company. I am disputing this as Employment agency are not in charge or control of the site. am I right or wrong ?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 August 2002 11:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams Its worrying when Croner ask us and we pay them to tell us? From memory it would depend on the contract arrangements between the agancy and the infrco and as i dont have them, i cant say for sure. But I believe the case law is already out there. Ashley
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 August 2002 11:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Dawson If the employment agency is the employer (which I assume to be the case)then they have the legal responsibility under HASAWA. However, I would normally expect this to be agreed in the contract between the parties. Surely, we can accept that even Croner can't be expected to know everything off the top of their heads!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 August 2002 11:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis The Principal/Main contractor, depending on whether the work is subject to CDM, is responsible for putting the persons to work and is therefore the person responsible for welfare unless this has been specifically contracted elsewhere. The Auditor in this instance either a) has more information about contractual arrangments than you have provided or b) is not competent to be performing this task Bob
Admin  
#5 Posted : 21 August 2002 12:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Baker Thanks for your replies and I had already suggested a review of their contractural conditions and arrangements implict or assumed. You can trust Croner to have the answer but the reason for posing the question is to achieve input from us workers rather than the interlectuals in their ivory towers.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 22 August 2002 09:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard God save us from people who won't admit they don't know everything, and who won't ask for help when they need it! (Is not knowing your own limitations the mark of a true professional, regardless of the area of expertise?) Richard