Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 August 2002 19:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barry Mageean I understand that Carbon Monoxide is odourless. What I would like is some clarification on whether in a fire situation the Carbon Monoxide will always be accompanied by visible smoke? Is it possible for Carbon Monoxide to travel independently or even in front of spreading smoke? Many thanks.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 August 2002 09:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I suspect that the technical answer will be that it depends upon the fire - on the definition that 'fire' = combustion. Why not try asking this on the Fire Safety Section of the FireNet Forum on http://www.globalcrisisc...ewforum.php?forum=2&1211 ?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 22 August 2002 09:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Pedley Barry, In a free burning fire situation, my understanding is that CO is produced as part of a chain reaction during the combustion process. CO is reactive and will burn to produce the stable carbon dioxide as an end product. The white fumes present in a simple fire burning say wood or paper will be water vapour. In other types of fire this could be more complex toxic fumes. In simple terms, the visible smoke seen in a fire may contain CO if there isn't enough oxygen or heat around to complete the chain reaction but is more likely to contain water vapour as the main constiuent. My advice would be don't try to get scientific about this, it is a very complex area. Regards Bob
Admin  
#4 Posted : 22 August 2002 09:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard I think most professional firefighters will tell you that in the average fire carbon monoxide is the least of their problems. Far more toxic products are produced in quick time Richard