Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 August 2002 16:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Waters We are having a problem getting a construction client's workers to wear safety helmets on-site........nothing new! We have issued Construction Info Sheet 50 and explained the reasons in, what we consider, a reasonable manner. Does anyone have any photographs of head injuries that we could laminate and place in the site hut!! If so please email to: mike@safetyuk.co.uk Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 August 2002 10:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Stop flapping about and remove them from site, if necessary permanently. I am sure the local HSE contact would be interested in taking on one or two clients. If it is in the site rules, as it should be, to wear them there is no argument it is a straight instruction, I think most people rapidly come to ignore the shock horror posters. Bob
Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 August 2002 10:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Waters Bob thank you for your comments, I do share your feelings at times however I do not consider that they are pro-active in dealing with the problem. Although the use of discipline seems to make sense it is negative and, if not evenly applied, can be unfair. Increased use of discipline only emphasises how not to perform an operation rather than emphasising the correct wya. The result is often that it only has a limited efefct as employees react against the apparent unfairness. This can lead to immense problems on site where deadlines have to be met and where work has to be coordinated with sub-contractors and utility companies. We take the individual needs of our clients' organisations into account and, in this context, have shown that positive reinforcement is much more effective. I am aware that the display of a poster that depicts head injuries seems an easy way to raise awareness but that once they have been on display for a while they become nothing more than wallpaper and have little long-term effect as a result. However, as an initial shock tactic as part of a longer term strategy (that includes disciplinary action) they have a positive effect. Mike Waters
Admin  
#4 Posted : 23 August 2002 10:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis These are client representatives and the example set by removing them from site means that the message is made loud and clear. The stick and carrot are both necessary and I prefer to achieve incentive schemes to encourage the use of PPE. We need to set clear standards and our leadership falls rapidly into disrepute if we are appearing to allow a lower standard for some people. Bob
Admin  
#5 Posted : 26 August 2002 09:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie I agree with Bob, and I made recommendations to this very effect on Friday. Those who will not comply with H&S requirements have no business on any site, let alone a lone a construction one Laurie
Admin  
#6 Posted : 26 August 2002 09:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By ray king Can anyone help in defining what is classed in law as a construction site and as such when safety helmets should be worn? I work in an area of about five acres of premises, which is a storage yard for portakabins... some of these cabins are stacked 2 units high. At the moment staff and employees are very vague as to whether or not safety helmets are required. Is the area we work in classed as a construction site? Does the law require us to wear safety helmets? Any advice would be appreciated
Admin  
#7 Posted : 28 August 2002 08:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis The definition for Construction Work is within both CDM regs and CHSW regs. Strictly if your business is supplying portakabins for hire to any hiring party it is not a construction work area. If however you are part of a construction company and hiring to the construction industry solely then you are likely to be so classed. But don't get knotted up about it the regs effectively say that head protection must be worn where there is a risk of head injury. This is not really any different to the MHS regs. Many employers prefer to make a fixed rule as it is easier to enforce and removes much confusion. Bob
Admin  
#8 Posted : 28 August 2002 11:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Mains Does it really matter if you are wearing a safety helmet when struck by a falling portakabin???
Admin  
#9 Posted : 28 August 2002 12:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Glancing blows can also be lethal Bob
Admin  
#10 Posted : 30 August 2002 15:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lewis T Roberts I to agree with everything that has been said. You must make it clear to your client that the wearing of safety helmets on construction sites is part of any employees responsibilities. I would go evn further to say that if an employee has been informed to abide with the safety rules and has blatently ignored them then your client has recourse to remove them from site as part of their duty of care towards the employee. Lew
Admin  
#11 Posted : 03 September 2002 10:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Mains Bob, maybe my point was a bit pedantic. It is just that if a porta cabin is going to fall or topple onto you from height it seems a bit pointless to be wearing a 'safety' hat. Surely, it would be better to minimise the risk of the portacabin, or parts thereof, falling. I was trying to emphasis the point that too often PPE of this kind is introduced and enforced blindly without a proper assessment. My previous employer had a large warehouse that had pallets racked to around 30 ft and the hard had rule was vigourously enforced by management. On one occasion a director appeared in the warehouse and demanded that I wear my hat even though she was not wearing one. When I pointed out that if anything was to fall from a pallet the hat would be of little benefit and that she was more at risk of injury from wandering around a warehouse wearing sandals. I understand that the safety manager is still trying to change from hard hats to bump caps but senior management are opposing as 'it is a warehouse, you must wear a hard hat'.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 03 September 2002 11:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Vincent Shields You may want to reconsider this idea Mike unless permission has been granted by the person in the photograph for it's use. Either way, worth checking the legal position. I would go with your original idea of info, training and cajoling unless some form of removal from site becomes indicated. Vince