Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 August 2002 10:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Anyone read and absorbed the Jacinto and Aspinwall article in the IOSH Journal Vol 6 issue 1? I am having difficulty distinguishing between this and the root cause analysis tool I've used for many years and which is common in the petrochem industry. I have 8 major categories of Immediate causes with up to 12 subdescriptors for each category. There are then 15 categories of system causes with up to 15 subcategories in each category. The subcategories of these latter are coded back to my management principles. The process flow is identical so where is the new element. To me the coding is so broad as to be non specific in many instances. Comments please. Bob
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 September 2002 19:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By sylvia Phew! I thought I was the only one thinking the same! I struggled to find anything new from the article, other than an attempt to initiate a "one-fits-all" accident classification method. Investigation processes cannot always be force-fitted in exactly the same way - nor need they be in many instances.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 09 September 2002 09:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Sylvia I have contacted the authors and hope to meet up sometime soon with them. It is an important area and it appears that the codification was their concern as much as anything else. I will keep you posted if you wish to let me have your e-mail address. Bob