Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 September 2002 06:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Uday A major accident occurred during construction of Back pressure steam turbine ( BPST ) for Electricity and water authority, which was under construction by 3rd party,a civil contractor.The roof of the subject building ( NOT constructed by us )collapsed culminating the incident into serious injuries and multiple fatalities of our workers who were unfortunate victims of circumstances who were present in that area when the roof collapsed.Our workers were carrying out oil flushing work,piping crew were working on the utility and service piping works,E & I crew were on the bus duct installation work.The structural members were highly stressed nearing to limits and various other factors contributed to this accident. Now the question is on whose account should the LTI,s / fatalities be shown, The workers who died as a result of this accident are on our payroll and our employees.At the time of this incident other contractors were also working in that area and they to had fatalities and injuries.Simultanous work was ongoing at the time of this incident. How do We proceed in this matter. Opitions and suggestions would be highly appreciated. Will our statistics show that it is our LTI,s and fatalities.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 01 September 2002 12:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt Uday, I suggest that the norm for this would be first to see which party is responsible for the whole project. They should count all the injuries on their records. Certainly that's what an ethical project manager would be doing, as far as I can tell from the information you've given. Next, the individual contractors should record all their direct employee injuries, and separately any to their subcontractors. Invstigations should be carried out by all contractors with a role in this, although a central inquiry at which all parties are present would save the need for many interviews of the same people, which in turn can add to stress levels and take time. In view of what you say, it may be that the regulatory body will be doing an investigation, but this should not take the place of one by those on site. However, the contractors and/or the regulator may subcontract the investigation to a third party - there is no shortage of people who could do this. Finally, but I guess too late now, a major injury/emergency plan should have been in place for the project before this happened, and one of its features should have been to set out the roles and responsibilities of all parties in the event of such an occurrence. If you email me direct I may be able to find a modest example of such a plan! Hope this helps, Allan Hope this helps.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 September 2002 12:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Uday. You do not mention why/how the roof collapsed whoich caused the fatalities/injuries. As this was the cause of the incident, it would seem logical to investigate the reasons why this should have happened. Apart from recording the various parties responsibilities for staff killed or injured, I would have thought that the cause of the incident, particularly if works are to continue at the site, needs to ensure the safety of other areas. Were roof members being employed to support/lift objects/plant, was it loaded from above, was there movement in the structure during instalation of the plant/equipment/pipes, was the structure loaded/overloaded by weight from installations being fitted/suspended etc. Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#4 Posted : 09 September 2002 09:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Surely if they are your employees and they are killed/injured while at work then they must be "your" accidents, regardless of blame? We run a sports complex on behalf of the LA, and if anyone breaks an ankle while playing football for instance it has to be reported by us, and appears as a "reportable" in our statistics (much to my disgust!) but obviously we discount such reports when analysing our figures Laurie