Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 September 2002 11:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Darren Green Could anybody tell me is there any imminent legislation regarding the compulsory wearing of seat belts on fork lift trucks? Thanks Darren
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 September 2002 11:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Dawson PUWER Reg 27 - compliance for FLTs in use prior to 5/12/98 must be by 5/12/02
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 September 2002 12:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Darren Green I understand the fitting of seat belts is compulsory, but its the wearing side I am trying to find out.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 September 2002 16:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Dawson Sorry, that'll teach me not to read things properly. I hope there isn't new specific legislation planned. In my view its already covered. If the risk assessment shows the seat belt to be necessary a failure to wear it could be a HASAWA Section 7a or 7b offence, or 14(1) of MHSW Regs Failure to use such equipment should lead to disciplinary action and a failure by the employer to address not wearing seat belts by this on other means could lead to Section 2 prosecution, for example.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 04 September 2002 23:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paddy Darren, There is a short but very informative information sheet available from the HSE. "Information Sheet MISC241" - "Fitting and use of restraining systems on lift trucks". You can download a copy from the HSE books site, or I could e-mail you a copy (file size approx. 340Kb).