Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 September 2002 16:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hazel Smith I need to undertake an assessment of the solvents used in the operation of ink jet coders. I want to compare risk in storage and usage of MEK, Butanone and acetone based inks and washes. Has anybody already done this or can they point me in the right direction?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 September 2002 11:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Hazel Are you looking at flammability risks only or at the wider picture? By the way, MEK and Butanone are the same thing. Paul Leadbetter
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 September 2002 14:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Scott You should find that the Material Safety Data Sheet should give you practically all the information you need for this hazard. For the COSHH assessment go to www.coshh-essentials.org.uk and simply follow the instructions. It will give you all the control measures for usage. However you will need the MSDS before you start.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 September 2002 18:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Hazel, The British Printing Industries Federation, BPIF may have produced guidance on this subject. HSE have published various documents for this sector including Control of Chemicals in Printing : COSHH Essentials for Printers (2000) Incidentally we were steering litho etc printers away from the use of MEK as thinners or to clean rollers etc when I joined HSE back in 1979, for both fire and health reasons. Good luck Peter