Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 September 2002 12:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Clive Richardson This may be a bit of a sticky wicket, but what are the view points on retrospective accident reporting by employees. We have had one or two occasions where employees have come to us and notified us that they had an accident a couple of days ago. We have been completing the accident forms and recording them and investigating, but as you will appreciate the scene of the incident is stone cold by the time we get to it. Are we correct to accept these reports or is it a case of hard luck mate this could have happened anywhere. Almost always these retrospective forms are a prelude to a claim. Opinions greatly received. Clive
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 September 2002 13:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lee Ainsworth Clive I personally would still investigate these accidents and collect all evidence possible if only to pass on to the company's legal department in defending a claim. There is always the chance of fraudulent claims, but also there is the genuine cases that need investigating to prevent them happening again. I feel that by refusing to follow up a report of injury you could be leaving yourself wide open to prosecution. I don't think the excuse of you believing it to be fraudulent would be acceptable without the proof of an investigation. This is only my opinion, but will be interested to read others views on this matter. Regards Lee
Admin  
#3 Posted : 06 September 2002 14:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Lucas Clive I tend to agree with Lee on this - I have many experiences of retrospective accident/incident reporting and I can never at any stage remember not learning soemthing from them. With respect to genuine and spurious claims as a result of retrospective accident reporting, again treating all accidents/incidents in the same way and utilising the same systems and processes is usually the best recomendation. In my experience I passed any "claims" to our insurers who I can assure you had the experience and expertise to "weed" out the chaff and thereby spot the genuine claim from those looking for some holiday spending money. Hmmmm sorry! are we back to the compo culture thread? If you want any further info' Clive email me direct. Ken
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 September 2002 14:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Petrie whether it was reported 3 days or 3 months after the incident, you should still investigate the accident. On top of the point detailed in the response above, you should consider the following: There may be a very valid reason why the accident was reported late. e.g. the reportee may feel 'silly' about having the accident, an you need to be sympathetis to this, not dismiss it for being late. There may be improtant lessons to be learned from an accident. Even anicdotal evidence may be enough to determine a cause or dangerous situation, which you can then tackle to ensure no similar, or worse, accidents happen again. It may be true that people are (excuse my french) taking the [expletive deleted], but you should conduct the investigation professionally. Leave the lawyers to sort out the messy stuff.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 06 September 2002 15:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi You may also want to find out why are the accidents reported late-is there a problem with the repporting system, especially if you have a papapatetic workforce! Are the responsibilities & duties of all with reference to accident reporting made very clear to all. Do you have a good accident reorting form etc. On many occasions, this can be an issue. Also, sometimes, you may need to make your sickness absence reporting more robust as absence due to accidents may be construed as general sickness absence from a reporting perspective. One way to get around this is to review your accident reporting and sickness reporting procedure, including the duties & responsibilities and then instruct all employees about it. As this is a safety matter, non-compliance to the company procedure without a valid reason should be a disciplinary offence and dealt with accordingly if being misused. Please note that if your company comes within the scope of mandatory keepng of the accident book, you cannot prevent an employee from making an entry in the accident book. Equally, you as an employer have to ensure that the details entered are accurate. This implies an investigation. Lastly, employees who genuinely report accidents late despite having robust company accident reporting procedures are not doing themselves favours. Whatever is the case, it is vital to investigate the accident--the outcome may be no witnesses, no circumstaintial evidence--then it is only the so called facts by the employee and the employer!!! In my experience, there is more likelihood of such instances to occur when there is a parapatetic workforce or multi-site operationns.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 06 September 2002 15:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Sweetman Clive, There's an old saying, 'better late than never'. I concur completely with everything that has been said so far, especially as legislation, guidance etc. does not refer to any timescales for investigation. What I would add is that you ensure that investigation results are absolutely clear as to what is fact, as opposed what is opinion. For example, someone stating that 'there may have been a spillage of water on the floor' could, if one is not careful, be converted into the factual statement 'there was water on the floor'. Someone once said to me 'never waste an accident'. It sounded a strange comment, but the wisdom of it eventually dawned on me. We all need to learn from mistakes. Regards Jim Sweetman
Admin  
#7 Posted : 09 September 2002 08:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie I agree with all that has been said, but also remember that you may have to report retrospectively under RIDDOR. I had a third party reported in January which did not meet any RIDDOR criteria, and therefore was not reported. In April we received a claim which blamed the condition of the premises, and the accident therefore became reportable. If you have not already carried out an investigation, life becomes difficult. Laurie
Admin  
#8 Posted : 09 September 2002 12:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Clive Richardson Just to say thanks for the responses. We do have a very good accident reporting and investigation procedure and all are investigated. The vast majority of our retrospective reports make a mockery of our accident stats and the genuine portion of the workforce who work safely. The late reports come from the same people who report the accident late and then have the following day off which is usually just before they go on holiday, a friday or the day before a bank holiday. From the point of view of a safety professional it infuriates me to know that all the good work , effort and systems implemented can be torn to shreads by a small proportion of the work force. I am sure I am not alone.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 09 September 2002 19:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack Laurie, I'm curious. Why did it become reportable? Jack
Admin  
#10 Posted : 10 September 2002 07:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Pedley Clive, I totally agree with Lee on this. You must capture all information available to you in order to protect the company in the event a claim in future. I believe a civil claim can be submitted up to 3 years following an injury. For some this is their ploy in making a successful claim as it will cost more to defend, so the tendency is to pay out. Also you will be demonstrating the importance of your reporting system to employees. I would suggest possibly using disciplinary procedures against people who fail to report in order to emphasise the importance of reporting. Another good element of your reporting system should be home visits to verify work related accidents. Bob
Admin  
#11 Posted : 10 September 2002 09:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Jack We are an educational establishment. Accidents to "other people who are not at work" are reportable only if "..... it is attributable to ....... the condition of the premises.....". Initially this was just a slip/stumble, but when he decided to chance his arm and make a claim blaming the condition of the premises, albeit three months later, it became reportable - Education Sheet 1 refers! Laurie
Admin  
#12 Posted : 10 September 2002 10:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack But Laurie surely this would have been picked up by the accident investigation immediately after the accident. After all to be reportable it must have resulted in a visit to hospital so surely there would have been an investigation. This would also help when responding to the claim ie you would be able to provide evidence that your investigation at the time failed to identify any premises defects (if that was the case). Jack
Admin  
#13 Posted : 10 September 2002 12:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie But that's my point, Jack. This was a case of a mature student "stumbling" (his words, not mine) and the investigation revealed that none of the reporting criteria applied. It was only when the claim blamed the condition of the premises, which is a criterion, that the incident became reportable Laurie
Admin  
#14 Posted : 10 September 2002 13:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Mycroft This may be changing the subject slightly, but I work in a similar environment to Laurie, in so much as we have a lot of mebers of the public passing through our premises. I can support Laurie on this that RIDDOR reporting becomes a bit of nightmare and the usual thing that tends to happen is that people take the easy option of reporting everything that involves a member of the public being taken to hospital. When you get a late report (and sometimes the first you know of it is a PI claim a couple of years later, thanks a bunch "Accident Group", etc.) it is often near impossible to determine the true cause. In the case that Laurie has quoted I would tend to take the stance that the premises were not defective in any way and so there is no need to report and no valid claim for damages.
Admin  
#15 Posted : 10 September 2002 15:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Clive When I saw the title of your post I thought I'd have a look because I have the same problem. Whoa! what a surprise when I saw that you were talking about 2 days late!! The retrospective I was thinking about was measured in weeks / months, with 2 cases of over a year. Not many over the course of a year mind you. All the other respondents have given sound advice but I'll add that retrospective reporting, whatever the time period, may be a material fact to your solicitor - just don't count on it as a defence!!. Obviously, the longer the period the more interested they'll be. Therefore it's useful to have a recording system that indicates date of incident AND date notification received. A cheaper way is to date stamp each form on day received.
Admin  
#16 Posted : 10 September 2002 18:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt Sorry, Laurie, I think you're missing the point here. If it wasn't reportable at the time then just because there's a claim doesn't make it reportable now. Injuries don't 'become' reportable solely because there's a claim. It may be that more facts about the injury or its treatment became available to you, but that's not what you said. Allan
Admin  
#17 Posted : 11 September 2002 10:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie I take your point Alan, and welcome your guidance, but my view is that at the time of the accident there was no question of the premises being at fault, and no question of a report. However, once a claim is submitted blaming the condition of the premises, such a question does arise and if the matter gets as far as court, we may have to explain why no report was submitted. This way I only have to explain why the report was late, and this was noted on the original submission. The 2508 may well need to be produced in evidence. Laurie
Admin  
#18 Posted : 11 September 2002 12:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Huber This is such an active discussion I thought I would add my two new p's worth. Clive, it sounds like you have a problem with the behaviour of a certain group of people rather than a cultural problem (ie: most people act according to your procedures). If you really believe these people are swinging the lead there are a number of steps you could consider. Take them out and shoot them at dawn is my favourite! But as that is reportable let's not add insult to injury (pun). I tend to swing towards the disciplinary measures (particularly for persistent offenders). Other less draconian measures would be to: Re-communicate the procedure to all employees. Place more responsibility on line managers and supervisors to ensure the accidents are reported. Possible enhancements to your procedures. Having said all that I would not consider 2 days late retrospective. If employees are then using the (alleged) accident as an excuse for a sick day or two there should be some sign of injury, have you considered having them thoroughly (and humiliatingly) examined by the Company Doctor or Nurse? In the military large hyperdermic needles, etc used to deter any would be loafers. The sight of a surgical rubber gloves still makes my eyes water! On the other subject raised by Laurie I would strongly recommend that such incidents are not reported under RIDDOR. If you do then you are making the judgement that the condition of the building was to blame and therefore accepting vicarious liability for the injury suffered. You initial judgement was that this was unreportable and that should remain so. Reacting to the judgement of a claiment can only enhance their chances of success in the courts. By reporting the accident you are implicitly accepting that you have breached your duty of care thereby creating all the necessary criteria for a successful claim. Ultimately this will lead to you losing any defence of the claim. Well that's what I think any way. Paul
sophiebragg  
#19 Posted : 07 February 2018 15:02:29(UTC)
sophiebragg

When I saw the title of this discussion I had to read as I have the same problem frequently.

Employees either have a few days off work, then come back and report an accident from the day before they had time off, having never mentioned it before.

Or they report an accident they had 3/4 days ago, even though they've been in work and worked no problem and we've never heard of it in the past few days, and then they take time off.

Either way, it is very frustrating! We always investigate every accident report. It may be genuine and we need to learn from this to prevent it happening again, or if it is not genuine, defend the company agaisnt a claim.

However, forgetting investigation for a moment, can anyone recommend any legislation or guidance which may outline a time scale in which you have to report an accident to your employers? Or perhaps such legislation/guidance does not exist?

Advice much appreciated, thanks.

Edited by user 07 February 2018 15:03:56(UTC)  | Reason: spelling mistake

A Kurdziel  
#20 Posted : 07 February 2018 15:35:03(UTC)
A Kurdziel

A post brought back from the dead!

Looking the responses I hope we have moved on in the last 16 years or so.

The aim of accident reporting and investigating from the H&S professionals point of view should not be primarily about defending claims, which is the tone of these old comments. I don’t care if people are a few days late with their accident reports; I rather they report something than not report anything.  Being heavy handed or threatening staff with disciplinary action for late reporting will simply discourage them from reporting at all, which might be what you really want but that is not in my opinion what we should be about.

Preserving the scene of the accident is all great fun and means we can pretend to be CSI:H&S but in reality it is more useful to talk to people to find out what they actually did and compare this story to what they were supposed to do according to your documented procedures etc.  For that you need your employee’s cooperation. If you don’t get that then you are going to have a hard time improving things.

Edited by user 08 February 2018 10:49:38(UTC)  | Reason: replace "for" with "from"

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Charlie Brown on 07/02/2018(UTC)
watcher  
#21 Posted : 07 February 2018 16:24:57(UTC)
watcher

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

A post brought back for the dead!

Looking the responses I hope we have moved on in the last 16 years or so.

The aim of accident reporting and investigating from the H&S professionals point of view should not be primarily about defending claims, which is the tone of these old comments. I don’t care if people are a few days late with their accident reports; I rather they report something than not report anything.  Being heavy handed or threatening staff with disciplinary action for late reporting will simply discourage them from reporting at all, which might be what you really want but that is not in my opinion what we should be about.

Preserving the scene of the accident is all great fun and means we can pretend to be CSI:H&S but in reality it is more useful to talk to people to find out what they actually did and compare this story to what they were supposed to do according to your documented procedures etc.  For that you need your employee’s cooperation. If you don’t get that then you are going to have a hard time improving things.

Unfortunately at least one of the posters has indeed passed away

Perhaps, Sophie, you could start your own thread?