Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 September 2002 20:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By declan gibney I'm currently doing work with a local authority, of which some of the staff are grave diggers. They experience many practical difficulties by way of shoring in particular and I'm hoping to find an SOP or Code of Practice for this particular work. Does anyone know of or have a copy of any such guidance? Many thanks for any help.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 September 2002 09:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Harry Try Google - 'UK grave digging safety' - it comes up with some likely looking leads. Harry
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 September 2002 11:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Declan. As a point of interest, I recall some years ago now, there being a one piece former (formwork) made of GRP or similar for gavedigging work. It was employed by Local Authorities and in use was simply pushed into the ground as the excavation was carried out (either manually or by machine). Advantages are that it totally encompassed the excavation and also prevented contact with other remains falling out of adjacent graves etc. I'm sorry I do not have details but i am sure you could follow up. Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 September 2002 14:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey If you are still looking for info, please Email me at work, peter.harvey@cambridge.gov.uk I have just been looking at risk assessments for this. Peter Harvey
Admin  
#5 Posted : 19 September 2002 09:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Renny Thomson Has anyone tackled the problems of lining Muslim graves? Our grave diggers are being asked to use 3'x2' slabs to line the grave with obvooius manual handling concerns. Any info or assistance would be appreciated.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 20 September 2002 17:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi There is specific guidance from The Association of Burial Authorities, "The Guide to Management of Safety in Burial Grounds". The e-mail adress is :- aba@swa-pr.co.uk There is a HELA/LAC circular on MANAGEMENT OF UNSTABLE MEMORIALS http://www.hse.gov.uk/lau/lacs/23-18.htm I feel it is not fair to single out a particular section of our society in our professional forum unless it is relevant to the discussion.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 20 September 2002 18:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Jay Sorry but I don't understand your point. The question talks about a specific instance that is directly relevant to H&S. Perhaps you could elaborate on what you mean? Geoff