Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 September 2002 21:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Pearce
What are the origins of the concerns about children wearing swimming goggles? What are the hazards? What are the risks?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 13 September 2002 15:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Conway
Brian

Several years ago my daughter had swimming classes with her school. This required written permission to be given and a number of criteria to be met before she could wear goggles. I recall the reasons given for this relate to eye injuries as a result of:
- children putting the elastic head band on first and letting the eye piece section go
- lenses shattering due to poor standards of manufacture

The criteria to be met related to the construction of the goggles (to meet BS ?) and the provision of instruction.

Provided that the goggles a purchased from a reputable manufacturer e.g. Speedo, Arena, Maru, Zoggs, Diana, Tyr, and are in good condition (no cracks and smooth seals) and the wearer put them on lens first I feel the benefits out weigh any risks. Kids messing around could be a problem - pinging goggles. When diving - poor technique normally results in the goggles comming off, rather than being pressed into the eye.

I've been a competitive swimmer for many years and the only problem I've come across is making around the eyes when the goggles are worn tight.

Steve