Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 September 2002 21:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Higgins I am putting together a short training session on the benefits of wearing eye protection at work and wish to include some images of work related eye injuries, in particular impact/penetrating eye injuries. Do you know where I can obtain some suitable (shocking) photographs? Thanks...Rob Higgins
Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 September 2002 06:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eddie You could try looking in the Eye, Ear and Airway System section at: http://www.mic.ki.se/Medimages.html#ophent
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 September 2002 16:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ciaran McAleenan Robert try Bryan Haywood's site http://www.safteng.net/Eye%20Injury%20Page.htm Best wishes Ciaran
Admin  
#4 Posted : 22 September 2002 13:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By shaun mckeever Try contacting Moorfields eye hospital in London.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 23 September 2002 05:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Urquhart Robert, As Shaun suggests approach either Moorfields Eye Hospital in London, or the Eye Department of the major hospital nearest to you. Explain precisely why you want such photos and also request some background information as to the condition, injury, damage and prime cause, eg. What was the casualty doing at the time. Request slides if you can. It is far better to be able to present the information and give accurate background to the causation. Also request slides that reflect the incident potential, work processes and conditions that do/can/might prevail in your industry and which are likely to be more meaningful to your audience. I obtained slides from Southampton General Hospital many years ago and used them in Trainings successfully many times. I also obtained a Prosthesis, a "Glass Eye" which I used to pass around.Sounds a bit macabre, but effective. That had quite a significant effect. (It was sometimes a bit difficult getting it back). In this day and age you might have some difficulty getting case information, what with data protection and protection of personal information but I am sure that if you adequately explain your need and the reasons, that there will be an obliging Eye department who will assist. Alternatively but of course subject to charges you could consult an Eye Surgeon "Privately" and seek help from there case records. Alternatively, why not invite the Eye Surgeon from your local hospital to be a speaker on your in house trainings and or briefings and get him to bring the material with him, again if he does this privately there may be charges, but in communicating the message, here would be the individual who has to pick up the carnage of the event and try to repair, reinstate or inform "Sorry No hope" to the unfortunate casualty. A speaker from real experience very often ensurses that a strong and powerful message is well communicated. Hope this is useful. Regards. Ken Urquhart
Admin  
#6 Posted : 23 September 2002 11:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster I remember a very effective picture in an ad. for one of the safety spec manufacturers - just wish I could now remember which one. It showed a genuine near miss, with a nail from a nail gun penetrating the lens, but stopping just short of the user's eye. The imagination did the rest, and the benefit of the PPE was clearly evident
Admin  
#7 Posted : 23 September 2002 19:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Waldram Although 'shock'is a common technique, have you considered evidence about what it is that causes adults to change their behaviour? Might be worth talking to some educators and to ask why so much TV public service advertising DOESN't actually show the nasty injury/illness they are trying to prevent, but leaves something to the imagination!
Admin  
#8 Posted : 24 September 2002 11:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Robert, I have one good photograph, if you want it just e-mail me; it shows a piece of metal imbedded in someone’s eyeball. However I would advise caution in using gory graphics on a training course, they can have a detrimental effect. I recall finding this posting on the Internet: “A company trying to continue its five-year perfect safety record showed its workers a film aimed at encouraging the use of safety goggles on the job. According to Industrial Machinery News, the film's depiction of gory industrial accidents was so graphic that twenty-five workers suffered minor injuries in their rush to leave the screening room. Thirteen others fainted, and one man required seven stitches after he cut his head falling off a chair while watching the film!” It really depends on the training environment, but caution is the word and warn people first before showing a ‘nasty’ one Phil
Admin  
#9 Posted : 02 October 2002 16:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Warne I've seen the picture mentioned by John Webster too, and like John I can't remember where it was. But a similar one is at http://www.udel.edu/OHS/eyesafety/eye.html and is an excellent example. In this case if the staple had gone through his eye he could have sustained a brain injury. Ian Waldram is absolutely right - "gory" horror pictures have NOT been demonstrated to have a positive effect on people's safety behaviour. Far better to use "near misses" such these which illustrate the value of safe working practices, PPE etc better than a thousand words
Admin  
#10 Posted : 03 October 2002 11:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Having looked at the Safteng site mentioned by Ciaran, I see there are a couple of picture sets similar to the one Diane and I remember.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 05 October 2002 19:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Bullows Robert, I have a good one. Email me your email address on paulbullows@select-fs.com and I will send it to you, Regards Paul