Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 26 September 2002 13:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tim Pegler
We provide a number of 'pool bikes' to staff in an attempt to get them to use the car less and cycle more. When they are using them for work, our risk assessment identifies cycle helmets and high-vis tabards as suitable PPE.
Should the wearing of such PPE be made compulsory, or can we strongly advise it's use but not enforce it?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 September 2002 13:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack
Speak with CTC (www.ctc.org.uk I think). There are some arguments against helmets (eg the additional diameter may increase torque and cause twisting injury).

My personal view is that on balance there is a case for wearing them but I favour encouraging them being worn rather than making them compulsory.

Might be worth asking the Consignia for a view. They must have considered it. I would guess they don't make it compulsory; or if they do no one is ensuring compliance in my neck of the woods!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 September 2002 17:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster
I'm sure many of us could tell this story.

A few years ago my son fell from his bike, striking his head on the kerb. He was unharmed, but his helmet was split from end to end. I am convinced that had he not been wearing the helmet, his skull would have suffered that fate. He took the helmet into school, and the class teacher used it to generate a class discussion on cycle safety, particularly use of helmets. And very effective it was.

In principle, I would support compulsory helmet wearing wholeheartedly. Unfortunately, once the cyclist is out of sight of parents (or the company safety officer) it is very difficult to enforce. It would fall to the Police, and they no longer seem to enforce any of the existing laws relating to cycling if my own observations are anything to go by (I can't remember when I last saw a cyclist being prosecuted for anything, yet they ride without lights at night, on footpaths, up one-way streets, in pedestrian zones, and now even along railings and park benches).

So, like in so many other areas, education rather than compulsion has to be the way forward.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 26 September 2002 20:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt
I think you'll be seeing your local cycling postie wearing a helmet from November or so. This one has been on the boil for a couple of years, what with trials, tests and so forth. I'm not sure whether the basis is voluntary or compulsory, but I believe it to be the latter. If you want to talk to the one who knows where it's all at, email adrian.warren@consignia.com

Allan
Admin  
#5 Posted : 27 September 2002 09:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lee Ainsworth
Tim

If your risk assesment shows the need for PPE and one of your control measures are cycle helmets, then I believe it should be made compulsory. Surely it is the same as any other work practice where PPE is used as a control measure. Hard hats are a control measure on building sites and steelworks, therefore they have been made compulsory. If you did'nt make them compulsory and one of the employees had an accident whilst not wearing one, how would you explain the findings of your risk assessment in an industrial injury case.
Saying this if you do make it compulsory, it's going to be difficult to police if the employees have to leave there wokplace.
Maybe the best option would be to eliminate at source and not use bikes.
They could always use the efficient "public transport" that makes us so proud.

Regards

Lee
Admin  
#6 Posted : 27 September 2002 12:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy
I feel a mixture of the above compulsory/educative replies are warranted.

I feel that it should be compulsory, no exceptions, all staff must wear them if they are using a works bike pool.

If someone has been found not wearing one, that is when the education comes in the, as the first part of the disciplinary process.

Difficulties in enforcing etc come in when you try and define at work, are they at work on the way in as on the way back. They may insist that they are not at work and the rules do not apply. This could be overcome by adding the helmet requirement in the terms and conditions for borrowing the bike.

Regards

Andrew
Admin  
#7 Posted : 30 September 2002 09:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie
It is the duty of every employee to co-operate with an employer as far as statutory requirements to ensure health and safety are concerned.

If your risk assessment, as required by HASAWA, show that a helmet is required then your employees are committing an offence by failing to wear one, and it becomes a disciplinary matter.

Now that should put the cat among the pigeons!

Laurie
Admin  
#8 Posted : 02 October 2002 16:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith
Having cycled over 2000 miles so far this year, I regard myself a moderate recreational cyclist. I also frequently visit construction sites through out the course of my work.

Based on a personal risk assessment, the likelihood that I could receive a serious head injury is much greater when cycling, then when I am on most construction sites these days.

I personally wear a cycle helmet simply because I have a brother who spent 36 hours in intensive care, with a head injury, following a cycling accident and he has never ridden a bicycle again.

If I undertook an occupational risk assessment for the use cycling helmets, I would recommend the compulsory use of these; however I would also be conscious that actual use of these may be poor.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 03 October 2002 17:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Large
You have a knife edge to walk because you want to encourage these people to use the cycles. Get heavy handed and they won't.

I say make sure you have a wide range of sizes and styles of both jackets and helmets. If people think they look cool they'll be more likely to use them. If they don't think they look cool they won't wear them despite the benefits.

After that its down to education.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 03 October 2002 18:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Mycroft
I have done a fair bit of cycling in my time and I soon learned that wearing a helmet was good common sense when a local cub leader finished up confined to wheelchair after sustaining a head injury in a cycle accident.

I would therefore agree with the compulsory approach as a condition of borrowing the cycle.

However, as far as I am concerned helmets are like underpants i.e. NOT FOR SHARING, especially cycle helmets that tend to get very sweaty, so it could become expensive.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 04 October 2002 13:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Dawson
On Ians point the PPE Regs as amended now make require ppe to be provided only for the person who will wear it for the purposes of ensuring hygiene and absence of risks to health;

More generally I love the way most people are basing their judgements on anecdotal evidence. I know a bloke who spent a week in intensive care from a head injury sustained when he was driving his car. So should I be advising making crash helmets compulsory?
Admin  
#12 Posted : 04 October 2002 14:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jerry Hill
I might be barking up the wrong tree here, but surely these bicycles, if provided by work for workers, would come under the regulations laid down by PUWER?

Reg 12 states that every employer should take measures to ensure that the exposure of a person using work equipment to ANY risk to his health or safety from ANY hazard specified is either prevented, or where not reasonably practicable, adequately controlled. (okay, I copied this from the regs, it's not from memory!)

Wouldn't that make the wearing of helmets compulsory?
Admin  
#13 Posted : 04 October 2002 15:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Dawson
Jerry you need to check with PPE Reg 3(1)(d) too. That is if the bikes are being used on the road.
Admin  
#14 Posted : 04 October 2002 16:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Mycroft
This could get really silly couldn't it? what about guarding all moving parts? That would be a sight to see.
Admin  
#15 Posted : 07 October 2002 08:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lee Ainsworth
Ian,

Do'nt forget a noise assessment for the traffic that they would be exposed to while out on the road. Also there is the exhaust fumes that they would be exposed to (this could work out expensive!).

Seriously though, to reiterate what has been said previous, if it's PPE then it should be made compulsory.

Lee