Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 September 2002 15:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Deana Daniels We operate a number of small cold rooms at -35 / 40. Due to the frequency of use and other issues there are substantial problems with these rooms icing up, creating an 'ice-rink' effect. Can any one point me in the direction of some good guidance on how the risk may be minimised as staff have to transfer large trolleys in and out of these stores. Information such as suitable floor specifications, footware specifications etc would be most helpful. We are a pharmacutical company and these are in 'clean' production areas so any suggestions must be 'GMP'(good manaufacturing practice) compliant. Many thanks Deana
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 September 2002 11:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Though I have no experience of commercial cold rooms, your problem suggests to me that you must be allowing a lot of moist, outside air to enter the rooms. Apart from the icing problem, you may be reducing the efficiency of the units and using more power to run them than you need to. On the basis that prevention is better than cure, have you looked at installing additional barriers, eg clear plastic strip curtains, or other measures either inside or outside the coldroom doors to reduce mixing of inside and outside air when the coldroom doors are open?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 September 2002 12:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neal Robertson Deana, If you require anti-slip footwear I can recommend some called "Shoes For Crews" - I found them excellent for all our industrial surfaces, and the attendants at the local swimming pool use them. Give me an email if you need contact details etc. Hope this helps
Admin  
#4 Posted : 01 October 2002 21:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Rushton Deana, It sounds like you are experiencing the freezing of condensation caused by warm air entering the freezer when the door is opened. The solution to this may be to put an extra set of strip curtains in the doorway or even automated sensor operated secondary doors that close after something has passed through them in to the freezer. Andrew
Admin  
#5 Posted : 02 October 2002 12:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Deana, As has already been said, the ice would seem to be from unwanted mositure. This moisture could be from outside air, poorly clad pipework dripping or even from a units de-frost cycle, is there a sytem to catch the water from the fans/condensors etc during de-frost Whatever it is your engineer/fridge installer should be able to solve this one. Regards Andrew