Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 September 2002 10:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Sandler
Dear Reader,

Should a company record the possibility of an employee committing suicide?

Sect 3. MSAWAW Reg 99

Nice chearful subject for a monday.

Ref Coroprate Manslaughter.

Regards.

Jonathan
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 September 2002 10:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
As long as they are not named!!!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 September 2002 11:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jonathan Sandler
What happends if another company apart for the employees own comapny is named in the suicide note?

Does an F2508 need to be completed?

Regards.

Jonathan
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 September 2002 11:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson
Jonathon,

Personal opinion here, but I would have thought it more appropriate to carry out a risk assessment on stress, and deal with the causes of that rather than assessing the risk of an individual taking his own life.

Regards,

nick
Admin  
#5 Posted : 30 September 2002 16:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood
Clearly some may not be from a very large company with over 100k employees - average suicide rates (few actually at work) may be around 3-5 in 100,000 employees per year i.e. possibly up to 5 x 10-5 pa in risk terms, or higher in agriculture. However, instances are not as frequent as natural deaths in service! So yes, you should examine the (medium) risks and especially think about what the company should do about it both from the reporting and support issues as well as the root causes, which may include stress. Training for managers should include such a possibility and they should be able to recognise early stress symptoms or family problems etc.

You can have a stress management approach as well as some kind of employee confidential counselling service, that can spot early signs of difficulty that can possibly be dealt with sensitively and confidentially.

Regards, George
Admin  
#6 Posted : 30 September 2002 21:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Barry
Jonathan

As you say not a wholesome topic for a Monday. I would agree that the potential for suicide could be as a result of work related stress and dealing with stress at work in general in my opinion should suffice. To specifically address the issue of the potential for suicide could lead you down the path of attempting to define the meaning of life! Unless you target each individual and allocate them a suicide risk rating (new term???)how does one quantify the risk to the organisation?

Peter
Admin  
#7 Posted : 01 October 2002 09:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
You asked about recording. I think that if an employer has reason to believe that an employee has a health condition that may affect their work and the health and safety of themselves or others from their work it should be recorded together with the action taken. However, I don't recall 'suicidal tendency' being reportable under RIDDOR.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 01 October 2002 09:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie
If suicidal tendencies were reportable under RIDDOR most safety officers would have to report themselves at frequent intervals!!

Laurie