Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 October 2002 21:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Judy Batt I was just wondering if anyone a copy of the policy they have in place for the use of safety footwear in their workplace. Did managment or union push for usage (if applicable) thanks Judy
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 October 2002 08:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Judy, There is no real need for a policy on footwear. As with all PPE, the need for safety footwear should be based on the outcome of risk assessment. You don't have to provide PPE for the sake of it, only if there is a foreseeable risk of injury. I get tired of continuing comments about the H&S Advisor not wearing safety footwear, like it's one of the ten commandments or something. To repeat, if there's no risk, you don't need it! Hope this helps, Regards, Nick
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 October 2002 11:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Nick, About 20 years ago, I was involved in a bizarre accident: I doubt very much if a risk assessment would have predicted it. A sheet of 15mm thick plate glass hit my foot corner on. I was wearing safety shoes but nevertheless broke two toes where the steel toe-cap was driven through the sole of the shoe. I’m in no doubt that I would have lost my foot had I not had the shoes on. Needless to say, I’m very pro safety shoe; the things are cheap (the ones I’m wearing at the moment, are good quality leather uppers and cost 16 quid) and comfortable so why avoid them? I do however agree with you that the knee jerk of prescribing PPE as the solution for any risk is bad practice. PPE is very low in the hierarchy of control measures (you can always spot poor H&S systems as it is at the top) and should only be used to control residual risk. Judy, Our (engineering) shop floor workers see the shoes/boots as a perk. This is a opinion I'm happy to go along with.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 07 October 2002 12:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Jim, There will always be "bizarre" occurrences. Should we walk around in cotton wool suits just in case? Your accident has stayed in your mind because it happened to you. Callous though it may seem, we have to accept that some people are going to be injured. The point in risk assessment and good risk management is to identify and control "foreseeable" risks. When the risk is not serious, some element of reasonable practicability must apply. It is only through properly managing foreseeable business risks that we can remove the myth of health & safety being "overly-beuracratic" and an uneccessary expense. Kind regards, Nick
Admin  
#5 Posted : 07 October 2002 13:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Mycroft I believe that there are times and places where protective footwear will always be necessary, e.g. engineering workshops, foundries, building sites, etc. But I agree that they should be provided to protect against residual risk rather than they are the cheaper option.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 09 October 2002 10:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Jim's accident reminds me of an earlier incident I had to investigate. A car engine was mounted in a test jig, and when the ignition was turned on the battery exploded, sending acid everywhere. Subsequent investigation revealed an internal short in the battery had caused a spark, igniting the hydrogen/oxygen mixture in the battery. The amount of distilled experience available was something in excess of 100 years, but only one person could ever remember this happening before, some 25 years earlier. I had a great deal of difficulty persuading my managers not to bring in a rule requiring everybody present when an engine was being started to wear face visor, apron, boots, gloves etc., including starting where the engine was still in the car, and the bonnet was open! As has been said - do the risk assessment, and remember the definition of "reasonably practicable." Blanket solutions help nobody, least of all the health and safety cause! In my particular case even the most pessmistic risk assessment would not have asssessed once in 25 years a "significant" risk, tho' in the nuclear power industry this would probably be unacceptable! As ever the risk assessment is all. Laurie
Admin  
#7 Posted : 09 October 2002 12:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker The point I was trying to make is that in the instance of safety shoes, they are as cheap or cheaper that high st wear. So why not? I would always agree that money should not be spent unnecessarily in the name of safety. I must admit my working life has been in engineering environments where they are considered the norm.