Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 October 2002 09:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lee Ainsworth Does anybody have a from/checklist for the monitoring of contractors when working on site. I've looked on the usual web sites without any luck. This would be much appreciated as I'm finding the works becoming over-run with agency and contract workers. To add to this, the managers bringing them on are in denial with regards to their supervisory responsibilty towards them. Please help. Lee
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 October 2002 13:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Sweetman Lee, To check what the contractors are doing on site means identifying their reasons for being on site. A plumber who comes on site to fix a leak will need to be considered differently to a a roofing company who have come to replace a roof. A single checklist may lead to a lot of things being overlooked and may give an inexperienced person false cofidence that they are monitoring adequately. If you have contractors on site, consider these points: - who engaged them and for what purpose? - what is the scope of their contract? - who is in charge on site? - have they got a method statement, or similar plan, for their work? - are they following that method statement? Familiarity with the appropriate safe working (as opposed to 'acceptable')procedures is essential as a non-technical person can easily be'blinded with science'. I wish you luck in your task. I'm sure that you will get numerous responses which will identify what a ticklish problem monitoring contractors can be. Regards Jim
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 October 2002 14:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lee Ainsworth Jim Thanks for the feedback, I understand where you are coming from and appreciate the difficulties every one of us have in monitoring contractors. It is normally the Engineering or Projects Managers who would bring in contractors and sit down with the H&S department to discuss the work to be completed. We receive method statements and use only Passport to safety credited contractors. Using our pemit systems the "job owner" which is usually the engineering manager, is responsible for supervision and monitoring. The problem being, the job owner has the knowledge and expertise required to acknowledge if the contractors are working as they should be just by observing them without going into detail. Therefore nothing is being documented to prove that we are monitoring them. This is why I was thinking of trying to standardise some kind of form that could be used on a broad scale. I have been working on this for the last couple of days and now have a draft copy. I would be pleased to pass this on to you and anyone else interested for feedback and also for your use if required. Lee
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 October 2002 14:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Brede Lee My company uses a standard checklist system as it has the following advantages. It ensures a degree of standardisation of the inspection. All the relevant questions are there to be asked. The results can be compared site vs site, contractor vs contractor and it will indicate the areas where your firm is doing well and the safety aspects that are being done badly. Certainly under CDM it is strong evidence of compliance with your Health and Safety Plan if you can produce site safety inspection reports to indicate that a systematic approach is being carried out. Do your 'job owners' take their supervision and monitoring roles seriously or is it a job that gets fitted in when they get time or after a disaster?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 October 2002 15:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lee Ainsworth David I'm afraid our job owners fit it in if they have time. They still have the old adage "we've always done it that way". I'm hoping when they return from there 2 week visit to the EEF and completed their NEBOSH cert they may have a different outlook and realise that they do have a responsibilty towards maintaining H&S procedures (am I getting too cynical here?) I would be interested in looking at your inspection checklist if you could send it me. Regards Lee