Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 October 2002 14:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Younger My company have recently branched out into Northern Ireland, and also have outlets in Scotland, and I am wondering if my present safety policy etc is suitable for these locations, as there are some differences in safety law in Scotland and Ireland. Any advice? many thanks.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 October 2002 15:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams has south tyneside mbc really become so big it now covers Scotland and Northern Ireland?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 October 2002 09:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Can't speak for Ulster, but the Scottish Executive have signed a concordat with HSE and while there may be minor procedural differences e.g. the Regulatory Reform Order system currently being used to consolidate fire safety legislation is not used in Scotland, in the main there are no differences, HSE and EMAS both having offices in Scotland. The only major noticeable difference is that in Scotland offences are normally prosecuted by the Procurator Fiscal, not by HSE. You may, however, wish to note that you are twice as likely to be killed at work in Scotland than you are in England & Wales, which is something I, for one, would like to see changed Laurie
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 October 2002 10:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Scotland Civil Scots Law is based on Civil Law, whereas English Law is Common Law. Decisions of the Courts are persuasive Statute The Structure of the Courts are different, For Criminal offences we have District, Sheriff & the High Court of Justiciary. As the HCOJ is the supreme Court in Scotland, there is no appeal to the HOL from it. H&S legislation is the same, it's just the way that it's implemented. The HSE do not prosecute, that is the job of the Procurator Fiscal from evidence provided by HSE. We do not have the Woolf reforms because our legal system was regarded as effective enough.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 11 October 2002 12:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Bullough Ron Young's comment about the Woolf Reforms reminds me of a comment some of my Scottish friends occasionally make, which is something like "in Scotland we usually do things differently - and usually do it better!"