Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 October 2002 20:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J Bristow A colleague arrived at work the other day to find the office room full of a nasty smelling burning plastic fume. Fortunately no fire, no injury,small damage to computer cables and the key board mouse, however, if this had happened over the weekend the outcome would have been very different. The cause - some person (not me)turning up the night storage heaters to maximum on input and output and then repositioning their desk close to the heater not thinking of the cable they are trapping on a soon to be very, very hot surface. It may be prudent for all health and safety persons to start with their own office first and ensure that cables and other combustables are kept well away from souces of heat especially as now summer has ended and heaters of all types are now being turned on. We all get busy in our health and safety roles and sometimes we can miss the things not very far from our own desks! Winter check now! Regards David B
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 October 2002 12:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Betton Very good advice David. A few years ago, as I was just about to leave my office for the night, I noticed a "warm, burning" type of smell. Immediately going to check the convector heater, I found that one of the fabric backed meeting chairs around our meeting table had been pushed up tight to the heater. Obviously, whoever had been sitting in the chair had stood up, pushed the chair back and walked off without thinking. I dont think my office would have still been there come the morning if I hadn't just noticed that smell. Sometimes we miss the simplest things...