Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 October 2002 13:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett This sounds like a weird one but please bear with me...my LEA is expanding its hospital school provision to include a second site away from the main schoolroom, which is on one of the wards at the local hospital. The new site will cater for teenage mothers, students who are recuperating but not fit to go back to mainstream, and children with school phobias and other psychological problems. Advice from teachers working with these groups is that some of the children physically cannot get through the day without a cigarette, and will suffer panic attacks and so on if they can't have a puff when they feel stressed. Some will almost certainly leave the site and therefore their educational/medical care. The temporary governing body is looking at ways to make it as far as possible a non smoking site and is considering getting parental agreements, setting up a designated supervised smoking area and providing smoking cessation support - but I wondered if any colleagues have had this problem and if so how if they would mind sharing with me how they managed it?!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 24 October 2002 14:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick House Hi Zoe Although I have not come across this in a professional capacity, I do have related experience, as I foster children with difficulties, and can appreciate where you are coming from. Some of the things that have been used with children that I have fostered in the past whilst in this kind of environment have been designated rooms that have extraction units in (similar to smoking rooms in the workplace), but these have been decorated so that the overall atmosphere is as relaxing for the person as possible, ensuring that they do not feel discriminated against just because they smoke. Fire retardant furniture would be a necessity, of course, but the room(s) should also be made as comfortable as possible. Younger people, or people with a history of pyromania should not be left unsupervised (so a large window linking to another internal area within the building would be necessary. It might also be a good idea to keep all cigarettes, lighters, matches, etc., in a safe place, with each person having to ask for a cigarette whenever they need one. For advice on giving up smoking, try the NHS website, http://www.givingupsmoking.co.uk/ This has plenty of information that could prove useful, but it should be stressed that each person should be encouraged, but not pushed into giving up smoking. Also, if they attempt to give up, but fall back into the habit, as they may well have other emotional pronblems, care should be taken to ensure that this does not cause them to become depressed, or affect their (possibly already low) self-esteem. Sorry to prattle on, but I hope this has been of use. Regards, and best of luck, Nick.