Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 25 October 2002 14:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Hulett
colleagues, I work in the wholesale distribution business and wonder were my company stands with reagrds to customer liability. Can anyone throw any light on the subject? We sell electronic components.

thanks in advance

Steve
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 October 2002 14:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
I hope one of our legal members can come up with a more comprehensive answer, but, from the health and safety point of view, your company will have duties of care for those who are affected by its work activities (including customers) and possibly as a supplier under trading standards/ consumer safety legislation - depending upon the contractural arrangements applicable. For a company-specific answer you will need to get a legal adviser to examine the operations of the company.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 October 2002 21:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt
Steve,

Ken's right; this is all about corporate governance, risk management in the widest sense. If your company hasn't got a good clear idea of its market exposure you really have a problem. I suggest you need a legal review of your liabilities and exposures before you can start to plan the appropriate controls. That's not just H&S, but also environmental exposure including disposal, and would extend to the adequacy of instructions and warnings that go out with the products. Not a subject anyone is going to go into much detail on the Forum, I imagine.

The simple and relatively cheap way to start would be to make a list of all the issues you can think of, and research them one at a time. The expensive way is to hire an outfit that has the breadth of expertise available to do it all for you, but there you would be talking large sums.

Good luck!

Allan
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 October 2002 10:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker
Allan,

The latter might not be the most expensive route, if you don't have the competence to do the former.
A competent consultant may well already have the wheel designed and only needs to customise it.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 30 October 2002 21:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt
Agreed. Feeling lucky? Reply was from my experience, but of course the 'right' consultant may be hovering in the wings!

I made two assumptions, the second being that competence may be present to some extent. I know, 'assume' makes an ass of you and me!