Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 26 October 2002 11:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Johnson Does anyone have formulae and worked examples or a simple programme, perhaps in MS Access, for noise exposure calculations. I am carrying out a survey of sound emitted during the testing (for a duration of approximately 180 seconds) of a fire warning system to confirm this does not exceed the first action level or peak action levels whilst at the same time achieving a minimum of 65dB(A) required by BS5839. I will be using a BS5969, type 2 meter with slow response and A weighting. I am particularly interested in confirming by calculation the daily noise exposure LEP,d in DdB(A) from the 'Guidance on Noise at Work Regulations 1989 L108 nomogram on page 38in Figure 3. I also want to take into account a calculation for the contribution of background noise, which I will measure separately. Thank you for your help in anticipation. Contact: frankjohnson@ukonline.co.uk
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 October 2002 00:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp Hi Frank, It's been a while since I did a project on noise and the NAW Regs 1989, but from what I can remember a noise level at 180 secs duration would not be anywhere near the first action level, assuming of course we are not talking Concorde levels. Unless of course it it continously repeated. Other than the Regs you have and the standard nomograms examples I cannot help. But you may like to try an audio institution, I am sure they would help. Ray
Admin  
#3 Posted : 28 October 2002 09:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis Frank I think you mean Excel not Access as the latter is a database. If you wish I can provide an Excel spreadsheet for vibration as a model for approaching this problem. The calculations you require are in the acop. Bob
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 October 2002 09:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie I had a similar problem a few years ago. I found that with an industry standard sounder, in a bare stairwell with no absorbent materials, a person would need to stand directly under a sounder for fifteen minutes to reach a harmful exposure dose. Incidentally, if you haven't already checked you will be surprised at how quiet 65 dB sounds! Laurie