Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 October 2002 12:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Des Daly I have recently been informed thatsafety hard hats issued to employees need to be changed,regardless of there condition, after two years of service. I know that manufacturers date code their helmets - but where does the idea of change the helmet after 2 years come from? Any suggestions
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 October 2002 14:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor The HSE guidance is for replacement at manufacturers' recommended intervals or when damaged. You can conclude from this where the 2 years comes from. Deterioration does, however, come from use (including misuse and bad storage)and age.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 October 2002 16:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt I'm sure you're right Ken, but is there any evidence of hats deteriorating after 2 years. On the same note manufacturers of safety boots sometimes give a life of 6 months or at the most 12 months but boots (especially on building sites where most operatives supply their own) are worn until they fall to pieces. I'd be interested in hearing about any injuries as a result of out-of-date hard hats and/or safety boots. Maybe I'm being cynical but while it is obviously in the manufacturers interests to play safe, it is also in their interests to put as short a period as they can get away with to improve sales. Geoff
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 October 2002 13:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Sweetman I think I can agree entirely with Geoff - just like the sell by/use by dates on food products - there's quite a commercial opportunity to be gained from promulgating any such lifetime dates. To the best of my knowledge, without looking things up, the only requirement is that the date of manufacture is properly marked on the helmet. How long the helmet remains useable will obviously depend on how it is used (or abused!). A colleague of mine has a good tale as regards his dealings with an HSE Inspector on this topic. The Inspector was saying that a helmet was out of date, but changed his tune when it was pointed out that the helmet had just come from a box of unused helmets, which in turn had been properly stored. The burning question was, if the one helmet was out of date, was the Inspector going to condemn the whole boxful. I've always advised the people that I have dealt with to inspect the helmet and see if it is in good order - not an element of rocket science. At the same time I've advised avoidance of white coloured helmets as a coloured helmet will show up degradation (from a lifetime on a car parcel shelf) sooner. As regards case law on the subject of the lifespan of a safety helmet, I haven't heard of any but welcome any input from anyone else who has. Jim Sweetman
Admin  
#5 Posted : 30 October 2002 14:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I'm with Geoff and Jim on this one too! (I wouldn't like to admit when I last changed mine - but it's quite comfortable and stored safely) I suppose it's a bit like consultants who provide H&S training and issue certificates stating that this should be renewed annually!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 30 October 2002 17:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Des, Manufacturers typically advise replacement at between 2 and 5 years after being taken out of safe storage (ie in the dark and neither too cold nor too hot - unlike conditions in the former HSE Glasgow storeroom!, hence date on helmet often somewhat irrelevant. Replacement should reflect amount of UV radiation which the helmet receives. Will vary according to user's role and where they are working. Not a lot of problem with UK up here in Scotland! Some helmets designed for longer life, eg Advent - mine is past its 10 year sell by date, but spends most of its time in the boot (partly as I use different helmets for different situations) so I reckon not a big issue. Regards, Peter