Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 October 2002 13:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shaun Deely Having just returned from annual leave Imagine my surprise to find 3 requests for information on action to be taken during an Earthquake. Having lived here in the UK all my life this is not an area which has had much exposure until recently. If there is anyone who has any information, or sources of information, relating to Earthquake procedures for office staff I would much appreciate your input.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 October 2002 14:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I'm not aware of any UK guidance but see the USA Red Cross advice on http://www.redcross.org/...keepsafe/readyearth.html
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 October 2002 16:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Would not a risk assessment show there is no significant risk in the UK? It is far more likely that, for instance, an aeroplane could crash into the building (accidentally) but I doubt many of us have considered procedures for that Laurie
Admin  
#4 Posted : 30 October 2002 17:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shaun Deely Ken, Many thanks for the link. the info is good and sound. Laurie, very true, but explain that to a crowd of 'worried'or 'stressed' insurance underwriters....... What I was looking for were some simple guidelines.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 31 October 2002 09:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Jarman Normally I would agree that an earthquake in the UK is not really a significant risk as it is not a likely occurrence. However, I have seen in the news that some 'experts' believe that earthquakes could continue to affect Manchester for some time - this makes it forseeable and should be assessed as such. I would suggest that procedures for the following are appropriate: - Inspection, prevention of damage to or closing off mains supplies. 'As far as practicable' determination of a safe exit route and assembly point. Agreement of the means of calling an evacuation. Which (if any) emergency services should be called, and if any utility companies should be contacted. Agreement on what constitutes the 'all clear' to return to a building, including any system of inspections. Most importantly there has to be adequate and understandable information provided to all relevent persons in a suitable format. Enjoy the challenge! Regards Mark
Admin  
#6 Posted : 31 October 2002 14:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Rees Don't forget to cover aspects of storage on top of filing cabinets, shelving etc - especially in multi-storey office blocks. All good housekeeping issues I know, but things that an earthquake here would impact upon
Admin  
#7 Posted : 01 November 2002 09:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young I can't believe that this is being discussed on this site and that some people are actually suggesting what procedures to use. Laurie is surely totally correct in what he says and for Mark to say that an earthquake is foreseeable and should be assessed as such smacks of dis-belief. Of course "minor" earthquakes are foreseeable in the UK, they always have been, but tell me when the last time an earthquake caused buildings to colapse and for people to be killed. I was unlucky enough to be involved in the Naples earthquake of 1980 and I can assure you, things like safe routes, which emergency service to call and when you can return to a building, are pointless. In a "real" earthquake you can rest assured, the emergency & utility services will know about it and the thought of re-entering a building (if it were still standing) after a "real" quake just wouldn't happen. Lets stick to H&S issues we can do something about and let god get on with his work.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 04 November 2002 10:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shaun Deely Thanks again to all of you for your comments. Most of which are both constructive and helpful. Ron, Geoff..thanks for your comments too. However I feel that as well as assessing known, or common, risks that I have a duty to give advice to members of our workforce who have expressed concern over any subject and, quite frankly, the attitude of 'its not likely to happen here' which you appear to support on this occassion is flawed in the extreme as it has happened. More than once. Would you also ignore any 'small' accidents that happen and wait until someone is seriously hurt before trying to find out what practical, and I stress practical, advice might already exist. Maybe it wont come to anything significant. Maybe there will never be another tremor even. But I can rest assured that the staff worknig for my company, having asked for practical adsvice and guidance, have now at least received reasonable practical advice on what they can to to protect themselves in the event of another tremor. And at what cost:- 10 mins to write the request and two subsequent postings, a couple of hours to collate and precis information received ..Not too great a price to pay even if it is just assurance for those people who now know that if you ask a question you will get a relevant answer and not just .."live in the real world" or "..let God get on with his work". I cant stop or eliminate Earthqaukes, I cant reduce the number of earthquakes likely to happen What I can do is put adivse our staff of some simple procedures, or controls, that may reduce the chances of thembeing seriously injured because they had no idea of what to do.Ron, do you have staff working in Manchester, Ask them? Geoff, did you know what simple actions to take to protect yourself when in Naples?
Admin  
#9 Posted : 04 November 2002 11:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Shaun, It was me who was in Naples not Geoff and I can add that there were no simple actions taken to protect myself. The earthquake was at night and therefore I was at home and all I did was to get out of it ASAP. The devastation of such a catastrophic event negates any evacuation plan. The fact is that, as far as I know, there has been no devastating earthquake in the UK since the dinosaurs roamed our streets and that as the experts have not noticed anything to suggest otherwise, I'm quite happy to file the "practical advice" in room 101. In the event of a devastating earthquake hitting the UK on a weekday during working hours, you can have the pleasure of calling me and every other H&S manager in the UK who doesn't have an in-house earthquake plan, incompetent. By the way, what was the practical advice you gave to your staff, other than the "get real" comment they should have been met with.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 04 November 2002 13:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Shaun First Point - Like Ron I have also been involved in an earthquake although not as severe as Naples. Maybe because we have been involved we realise the utter futility of putting a plan into place. My best advice to you is to leave it to the emergency services. However, as you are doing it anyway, when the earth is moving about you do remember to get the procedure out to see what you have to do next. Second Point - You mention the short time taken to prepare a procedure - but of course, if a procedure is going to be of any use you are going to have to practice it at regular intervals and continually review it. Lets say you have 100 people in a building - now talk about time! Third Point - If you are going to assess any occurrence without taking into account whether or not it is significant (and in this case it definitely is not) - then you I don't envy you the amount of documentation you are generating. Hence my reference to the 'real' world. Geoff
Admin  
#11 Posted : 04 November 2002 14:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Some years ago in one of my premises a light fitting fell onto someone's head. To avoid such an accident in future I could have advised all staff to avoid passing under the 10,000+ plus light fittings we have unless they were wearing hard hats, or I could have advised our Estates Manager to fit security chains on these same 10,000+ fittings. I'm afraid that as far as I am concerned neither option fell within the definition of "reasonably practicable" (risk in proportion to cost etc). I consequently put this into the same category as earthquakes - yes it has happened, yes it may happen again, but the risk is not significant (remember that old chestnut - is the risk significant?). You carry on with your paperwork if you have the time Shaun. I have more significant and real risks to worry about Laurie
Admin  
#12 Posted : 04 November 2002 17:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack Shaun, we all get enquiries from staff such as the this. I agree we should respond. Such enquiries usually result from a genuine concern. However, it is not necessary, just because someone has raised it to draw up procedures where they are not necessary. The correct response is a tactful, polite explanation why such procedures are not necessary. Sometimes the "reasonable practical advice" is to say its not necessary. To do otherwise is to further distort peoples perception of risks Jack
Admin  
#13 Posted : 05 November 2002 09:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Some of us in Health and Safety have also had a responsibility for civil emergency planning. Whilst not having been approached by worried staff about earthquakes, I have been asked for guidance on avoiding lightning stikes during thunderstorms (eg during school rugby matches). It could well be argued that this risk is also very unlikely but, although we have neither an earthquake policy nor a lightning avoidance one, at least concerned staff have been advised of the small likelihood of the risk of lightning strike and informed of what to do should they be caught out with pupils in their charge in a sudden thunderstorm. I treated Shaun's enquiry in this respect. Come to think of it, thunderstorms are probably far more likely in Manchester.
Admin  
#14 Posted : 05 November 2002 09:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Ken, I would think that offering guidance during thunderstorms whilst outdoors could be construed as reasonable. Ron
Admin  
#15 Posted : 05 November 2002 09:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis There are issues here which have been touched upon concerning the likelihood that in spite of all that is written and whatever training is given people will still make their own decisions at the moment of disaster. I was at Nypro and we had a Disaster Plan which was drilled and tested. It included all Laboratory staff going to the Main Control room. It was done on every drill but at the moment of disaster this was ignored - fortunately - or the death toll would have been 38 not 28. The best our disaster plans can do often is to provide the safe assembly points and make sure that people know their whereabouts and have the freedom to select at the critical times. Communications are the key to such an operation. The maintenance of physical systems is a high cost and I cannot see how the risk of a significant earthquake in the UK could justify the measures. Bob
Admin  
#16 Posted : 05 November 2002 10:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Another small addition on the subject of lightning (which in my view should certainly be risk assessed in such places as golf courses and fishing areas), I used to be involved with explosives storage and transport. We always used to get a warning from the Met Office if there was a thunderstorm within, I think, five miles. It was then time to shut up shop, and secure everything under lightning protection. I can remember on one memorable occasion when I was out in the open with a full trailer when without any warning there was the biggest clap of thunder I've ever heard! Records were broken, not just speed but also uninterrupted swearing down a telephone line!! Believe me, lightning, in Manchester or elsewhere, is certainly more likely than earthquakes! Laurie
Admin  
#17 Posted : 05 November 2002 10:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zyggy Turek As somebody who experienced the recent tremors in Manchester & received a number of 'phone calls from (genuinely) worried employees, I thought that I would add my pennyworth into this debate. A couple of quick calls soon identified the epi-centre & magnitude of the quake.The advice given by the experts was that no structural damage was anticipated & whilst it was unusual to get so many of these so-called "swarm quakes" (last count 50+), it was by no means unique & they may continue for months or even years! This message was then posted on our intranet site....& basically that was it!
Admin  
#18 Posted : 09 November 2002 00:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J Bristow Well thank you all for an entertaining tread on earthquakes and whether too, or not too undertake a risk assessment. Whilst on the subject of earthquakes I was on holiday with my good lady in Zante or Zynthos if you prefer when whilst out shopping one day there were in fact 3 earth tremors, one of which shook the windows quite violently of the taverna, sorry I meant shop that we were in. These is my only experience and my good lady assures me hers too, of the earth moving for us, well at least for both of us in the same place at the same time! Regards David B Ps – if any one succeeds in writing an assessment for the above (paragraph 1) could you e-mail me a copy – thanks in anticipation!