Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 31 October 2002 14:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond I'm rather taken with OHSAS 18001, the standard for health & safety management systems. I went on the 1-day IOSH course on Management Systems, have just read the article in the Nov S&H Practitioner and the previous threads in this forum. However, as much as I like the standard, I'm still not sure how to sell it to our board of directors. I work for a charity which runs homes for people with learning disabilities. Would it look good to our clients? (mostly local authorities) and would it help the business in any other way? - after all that is what directors are generally interested in. Any ideas?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 31 October 2002 15:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Petrie It is becoming increasingly common for businesses to require that companies they deal with have suitable management systems in place, not only OSHAS 18001 but often environmental (ISO 14001) and quality (ISO 9001). I am not sure if LA's have this requirment or not, but some of them are sure to adopt it in the future. You could sell it to your board as pre-empting any such requirement at the same time as improving your status as a reqistered company. It always looks better to have these systems in place and will give you an advantage when bidding against competetors who don't have it.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 31 October 2002 17:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Nigel, As a supplier of consultancy services to 100s of clients in both private and public sectors, I have seen zero indication that they are likely to demand 18001 accreditation. Almost as few starting to push the 14001 line. They routinely accept our position that we base our HSW management systems on the principles in HSG65. I think that many organisations may ally their HSW / environmental / etc etc systems to 9004 which allows to you to effectively pick from a menu with view to continuous improvement. Regards, Peter
Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 November 2002 13:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Annetta Maslen Nigel, I persuaded my organisation to go for OHSAS 18001 and we are having our pre-assessment session with the auditor later this week. My arguments for getting them to accept this were: 1. It shows our stakeholders, staff, clients and enforcers that we do take H&S seriously enough to put some money up front and to also put in some very hard work. 2. It results in an external independent audit of our H&S management system 3. It encourages continuous improvement 4. This in turn encourages a smarter business, improves quality etc. 5. Fewer accidents/incidents - and when we do have them we learn from them. 6. Lower insurance costs if we can demonstrate to our Insurers - "Good health is good business" etc. 6. Last but not least, and to my shame, I sold it as a "get out of jail free" card to Directors. Whilst we all know that registration will not prevent all accidents, in the event of a prosecution we will at least be able to demonstrate an awareness of our H&S responsibilities and a will to improve.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 07 November 2002 09:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond Thanks Andy, Peter and Annetta for your helpful replies. The bullet points you gave me Annetta will be particularly useful for my presentation to our directors next week! I was disappointed that there were only 3 replies for such a major topic. It makes me wonder if many health & safety professionals apply a piecemeal approach to health & safety rather than using Corporate management systems approach?? or is lack of interest in OHSAS 18001 bacause people feel that HSG65 provides a system that works and truly results in continuous improvement?
Admin  
#6 Posted : 07 November 2002 17:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Brede Nigel, I think it is the perception that OHSAS 18001 does not add much value to an organisations worth is why there is little take up and consequently little interest in this thread. As Annetta indicated in her response you have to go for some pretty strong arguments including the corporate bottom line and the 'get out of jail' cards. If there are a few successful prosecutions and a director or two find themselves sharing cornflakes with Lord Archer then the argument for this will suddenly make much more sense to them.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 08 November 2002 12:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi There appears to be a lot of confusion regarding implementation/advantages of Occupational Health & Safety Management Systems (OHSMS)due to the multitude of "routes" available. This has arisen because unlike its counterparts in Quality & Environment, there has not been a consensus in the Standards compilation process at national level to have a CERTIFICATED OHSMS. This has resulted in the publication of OHSAS 18001 & OHSAS 18002. Due to the limitation that OHSAS is not a British or an International (ISO) standard, and that it is currently not within the scope of UKAS to accredit certification bodies to award OHSAS 18001, it perhaps lacks the level of credibility that Quality & Environmental ones have. I understand that BS 5750 & BS 7750 were heavily promoted by DTI and all stakeholders as there were "certificated" British Standards that soon became International i.e. ISO certificated standards. This is not the case with OHSAS 18001. OHSAS 18001 can be used to advantage inso much as it can be used to demonsrate the implementation of an OHSMS. What cannot do is the "level of acheivement" within the OHSMS that some of its competitors such as various "star" rating systems and others such as ISRS can do. OHSAS 18001 can reassure management by external & independent audit the compliance to the "standard", but as it has not been tested in courts to demonstrate "due diligence", the take up perhas is not great! A likely driver can be the implementation in law of proposals for Corporate Manslaughter from the Home Office--that will surely concentrate the minds at the top level and a denmand for independent external audits may increase. Lastly, the confusion comes from questions that a board will require satisfactory responses to--such as :- Is OHSAS 18001 a British or an International Standard? The answer is NO-- Unless the promoter is clued in to the background that led to compilation of OHSAS 18001, can respond positively, and can determine whether an OHSAS 18001 certification body is up-to scratch, such as its Auditor competency criteria, auditors registered with a recognised body such as IRCA, it is a very complicated issue. Last, but not least, there is a cost associated with external audits so the drivers can be :- For organisations without a robust OHSMS, a gap analysis will indicate what needs to be done and can be used to advantage to build one. For organisations with robust OHSMS, it is re-assurance. In any case, external audits are a snapshots very much like MOT's. There has to be a robust internal audit team to maintain the OHSMS--a significant resource issue that should be taken into consideration. Having said this, I suspect that many of my collegues who are in-company advisors will be able to undertake such a task themselves--and this leads to the question that why employers do not implement their own "appointed persons" ( to assist in implementaing statutory requirements......" Regulation 7-MHSWR) advice and need external audits to convince them to comply with Regulation 5 of the Management of Health & Safety at Work Regulations 1999! The excellent IOSH guidance on OHSMS referred to in other threads will go a long way in addressing all of these issues.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 08 November 2002 13:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith The development of safety management systems have moved on considerable since HSG 65 was originally published over ten years ago and if you look on page 27 of this months Safety and Health Practitioner, you will see that IOSH is to shortly publish new guidance on safety management systems which should be very interesting to read. The focus on prosecution for motivating Directors may soon change. As you probably are aware, the insurance industry is currently losing vast sums of money through Employer Liability insurance and it is left with three options: 1. Substantially raise premiums in the hope that this will eventually move ahead of loses occurred. 2. Withdraw from the EL market altogether 3. Withdraw EL cover from those employers who the risk of future claims are the greatest I suspect that insurance underwriters are currently taking the third option and in which case the Directors of companies will need to demonstrate that they are effectively managing risk in order to hold onto their EL cover, company and therefore their income. For high risk organisations OHSAS 18001 Certification may be one way of the ways of managing occupational H&S risk and demonstrating this. I am sure that Directors now will take occupational H&S more seriously than when threatened with enforcement.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 14 November 2002 11:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond Thanks for the responses. The information you gave me was very useful in my directors talk. They seem almost convinced. They have left me with two questions. 1. What other organisations have achieved OHSAS 18001? 2. What do HSE or EHOs think about OHSAS 18001 - would it help in a prosecution defence or would they dismiss it because it is not called 'HSG65'!? Any responses greatfully received.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 14 November 2002 15:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Brede Nigel, Jackson Construction (formerly Jackson Building) of Ipswich achieved it). David
Admin  
#11 Posted : 15 November 2002 22:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith Nigel Hammond, In answer to your question, if an organisation has an effective management system based upon OHSAS 18001:1999, then it is most likely that it will be complying with Regulation 5 of The Management of Health & Safety at Work Regulations 1999 and the specific advice laid out in the Approved Code of Practice. The same statement can also apply to HSG 65. The organisation is likely to be judged against Regulation 5 and the ACOP. Not HSG 65.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 18 November 2002 21:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Nigel. The words: Quality, Sustainability, reduced overheads through improved management and reduction in claims, reduced overheads in insurance premiums, enhanced customer benefits, etc are a few possible ways to interpret the benefits of a good H&S Mgt system... Regards... Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#13 Posted : 12 December 2002 15:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Adams Hedley Purvis Ltd of Morpeth have just been recommended for certification.