Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 November 2002 15:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Keith Archer. Could anyone please give me information with regards the following: Once the maximum safe weight has been reached on warehouse racking by evenly distributing the load, is there any formula or theory that would calculate the additional weight required for the racking to collapse for example test to destruction. My theory behind this is that when we calculate the load bearing weight of slings/chains they are tested to destruction and then calculations are made to the maximum safe weight that can be lifted before being stretched then breaking. Thanks Keith
Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 November 2002 13:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jerry Hill Keith As far as I am aware, when the safe working load of anything is calculated, it is always done following a 'test to destruction'. The safe working load is then given as a percentage of that destructive load. I am unsure as to what that percentage is, but would imagine it's between 50% and 70%. Consequently, if a warehouse shelf had been tested and collapsed with say 200 kilos on it, it's safe working load (evenly distributed)would be between 100kgs and 140kgs. These figures are purely illustrative, and I'm sure some of our learned colleagues out there can give us the correct formula. Hope this helps a bit. Jerry
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 November 2002 08:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis The manufacturers of the system you are using or the designer will already have considered the maximum possible load in the design and manufacture of the racking. The safe working load is that which is stated by them and I can see no valid reason for knowing the ultimate failure value unless there is someone in the background wanting to stretch the amount stored - surely an extra 50kg per square metre is not going to hurt philosophy!!!!! Bob
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 November 2002 13:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Sullivan Keith, Can I suggest you contact the Storage Equipment Manufacturers Association (SEMA)at; SEMA c/o METCOM Bridge House Smallbrook Queensway Birmingham B5 4JP Best Regards Robert