Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 November 2002 15:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jo Scott Smith I work for a homeless charity and one of our tenancy sustainment projects works with families to help them set up in new accomodation. We have a handy person who does basic DIY (putting up shelves, helps with decorating). However the project is now asking whether they can loan out its tools/equipment (for free) to families so that they can get on with the work themselves. The tools on loan would be ladders, steam wallpaper strippers, electric drills, sanders etc The have systems for ensuring that the families have information about how the tool should be used, hazards and precautions to take etc (like you would get if you hired them) We will need to be inspected before it is leant out to ensure the equipment is safe before is it is loaned out. Can anyone tell me what needs to be looked at and how we ensure the people doing it are competent? Are there other things that we should be doing? Thanks JO
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 November 2002 15:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams Jo, contact Bob woods at Worksafe, he covers the voluntary sector and will have some information on this. I produced it when i was there. Hes on 01535 664462 or e-mail advice@worksafe.org.uk Ash
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 November 2002 15:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I would assume that your organisation's legal responsibilities would be exactly the same as if you were hiring out (for money)the equipment. Would lending a loaded gun to a depressive be less of a risk? Seriously, the electrical equipment needs checking (between loans) - commonly refered to as PAT (portable appliance testing)by a competent person. For me, this means someone who has passed City & Guilds 2377.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 November 2002 16:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin Minton Jo I agree with Jim that responsibilities would be the same as a hire company, & equipment is to be examined between loans. I don't agree that C&G is necessary, but it is important that the examiner can make a independent decision free from "commercial" pressures. I think you need to look very carefully at the instructions, and consider also the competence of the users (especially any implication on your part that they will be competent; and also provision of appropriate PPE. Also check with your insurers about liability insurance. I would advise you proceed very carefully. Kevin Minton
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 November 2002 15:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By KATE PEARSON I think it is a issue that requires considerable considerations on safe systems of work. How they should be implemented and the caliber of people who are using them. I also agree witih the previous responses that PAT testing competent testers and insurancce are imperative. Also job specific risk assessments will be required to assess whether the correct control measures are in place Along side all this don't forget operator defects registers