Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 November 2002 16:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Forster Has anybody devised a decent system that takes a holistic approach to serving schools with regard to health and safety, fire safety, risk management (primarily insurance) and asset management? It seems to me that lots of people have their fingers in the pie but there is very little 'coming together'. Imagine being a new headteacher, arriving at yer bog standard comprehensive school to be faced with the safety chap calling for risk assessments, the fire officer shouting for a fire risk assessment, you are worried for the pupils and staff and of course there are insurance worries too. Suddenly you receive a survey from your friendly LEA asking you about Asset Management. You look to your new filing system and see a reassuringly heavy looking manual from Croner, a 'not-to-disimilar looking manual from your LEA and some bits and pieces from the good old N.U.T Where to start good people? What exactly am I after (apart from a lie down and a cool drink?!) I would like to know what information you receive (either by request or involuntarily) from your schools that help you address the above. How do you set standards and monitor that they are adhered to. How do you close the loop to whatever audit/inspection regime you have set? Do you utilise software packages, if so ,what are they and are they any good? How do you link in with other similar disciplines (like fire, insurance and asset management) and most importantly how do you sell this to the schools without it appearing burdensome. Thanks for any assistance..
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 November 2002 23:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philip McAleenan Richard, I recently presented a paper on the Operational Analysis and Control model to the NSC Congress. This model adopts a holistic approach, not just to safety practice but to the whole matter of corporate governance. I am sending you the paper by e-mail attachment. It will provide you with background, rationale, the model and how to apply it to your work place. I hope that you will find it useful, Philip
Admin  
#3 Posted : 06 November 2002 09:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I do hope that new Headteachers are not arriving at schools these days with 'none of the above' and no previous experience of school's management. The questions posed are too large and many to try to adequately answer on the Forum, but I start with a one-to-one 'training' session with each new Headteacher which includes an introduction to our health and safety management system and the school's part therein - including, Croner's, DfES, HSE and other relevant publications, assessments, monitoring, training, reporting to local committees and the employing organisation, etc, etc.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 November 2002 13:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett I think the two most crucial things my LEA has done are a) to provide a dedicated H&S adviser (yours truly) and b) an internet health and safety resource system. Having someone that schools know and I hope trust has been an enormous benefit as they have a "one-stop-shop." Whilst this may not always be good for my blood pressure it does mean that I have very good knowledge of what's going on out there and they know that they can get me with a single phone call. And of course, if it's not something I can help with, nine times out of ten I can pass them direct to a colleague who will be able to deal with the problem. The internet system has been excellent as all schools now use the same guidance and documentation. Heads now all understand and use the same risk assessment procedures, and I can very often deal with a query by pointing them at the system. For anyone who's interested it's called Safegard and I will be happy to pass on contact details. All this has given us a situation where by and large schools see H&S as something they can do, rather than something they shy away from. Last but not least Governors need to be on board as they can either make or break H&S in a school, so good training and awareness for them is important too.