Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 November 2002 11:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Matthew Smith Hello I am currently developing a health and safety policy for Major music events, which will involve public audiences both indoor and outdoor. I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their policies or point me in the right direction for legislation, guidance or organisations. I am particularly interested in what local authorities and other persons would expect the organiser to provide. If anyone has ever had any experiences or difficulties with organising these events, I would be most interested to hear them. Any information would be useful. Thanks in advance to all who contribute. It will be most appreciated.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 November 2002 12:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams Matthew, you could try a HSE publication i cant remember the exact title of it but its something like "Managing health and safety in large events". It covers all the things you need to take into consideration such as police liasion etc. Ashley
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 November 2002 12:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett The book I think Ashley means is "The Event Safety Guide" aka the Purple Book. It's from HSE books and the ISBN is 0717624536. It's the princely sum of twenty quid and should tell you absolutely everything you need to know.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 07 November 2002 16:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams Thanks, yes thats the one. I dont have a copy anymore since I changed jobs. Ashley
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 November 2002 16:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Euan Turner Hi Matthew, agree with other respondents, the purple guide is the one you're after as a starting point, Star Hire (a well-established stage hire company) also produce a handy booklet for putting on events with some more technical detail. You may also want to pick up copies of HSG 154 that deals with crowd management at outside events and the yellow guide (what is it with colours here?) titled a guide to fire precautions in existing places of entertainment and like venues. Apart from the Occupational health and safety side of things you'll probably also need to consider the licensing process - in your case this most likely to be a temporary entertainments licence, granted by local authority. Different authorities mean subtle differences in requirements, too, but most will be conversant with the guidance above. What you will tend to find is that the relevant guidance in the above documents becomes mandatory requirements for the event organiser to follow in order to obtain a licence for the event - and without a licence, there's no show! All in all, health and safety at music events isn't as simple as it could be, principally due to the interaction of occupational health and safety legislation (reasonable, risk based etc) and licencing requirements (often less so) . Too much detail for more of a response here, feel free to contact me and we can discuss further. cheers Euan (safety advisor to theatres, arts organisations and occasional events in Scotland)
Admin  
#6 Posted : 11 November 2002 11:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Lucas Matthew All the previous contributors have provided you with some excellent advice - if you want anything further - something that I did on a module as part of my MSc course sometime ago was when my previous organisation opened their premises to the general public, (incl' children) as part of their fiftieth year celebrations. The event included fairground attractions, charity stalls, rafting on the river as well as music events. A lot of issues, not just OS&H, but a few environmental, ie noise, car parking, provision of food and drink, licensing and all this close to a housing estate. If you want the info' give me a call. 0116-2573176 or 07977-124016.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 11 November 2002 12:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jo Scott Smith Another publication you might want to check out is the celebration toolkit which is downloadable off the Queen's golden jubilee website. If its not there anymore let me know as I have a copy I can email you. I act as the H&S coordinator for a large community music and arts festival in Cambridge. If you would be interested in talking or would like a copy of our management control document then email me. Jo Scott Strawberry Fair
Admin  
#8 Posted : 11 November 2002 12:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Sweetman Matthew, You've certainly had some good response so far. To add to it I would suggest you make contact with Richard Limb, of the Symonds Group. Unfortunately I don't have any contact details available, but you may get suitable info from: a) A Symonds website, possibly via Martin Barnard, or b) IOSH Special Events Team, via Mark Hillier or Steve Dain - Richard has presented at a number of IOSH events. Good luck! Jim
Admin  
#9 Posted : 13 November 2002 20:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Morgan I commonly use the following publications when preparing outside events: Fire Safety - An emplopyers guide. Managing crowds safely - HSG 154 (there is another book on crowds but I think this is the most comprhensive) Health and Safety in Construction - HSG150 Guide to Fire Precautions in Exisiting Places of Entertainment and Like Premises. This book is harder to find as it was produced by The Stationery Office, ut is very good although is becomming a little out of date. The Event Safety Guide, is the definitive resource and from here it is worth refering to the relevant british standards. Other consideration must be given to the following criteria where licensing is often an issue: - Liquour licensing/consumption - Noise and potential nuscience - Security arrangements (can prove very difficult to satisfy all involved) - Health and hygiene (catering etc) - Sanitation I work as an event co-ordinator for events ranging from 1000 - 10000 people, as such I have to be satisfied and satisfy others (including local authority). I have only been doing it for the past few years but I hope I have discovered the majority of difficulties that exist. If you have any queries please ask.
I am putting together a list of considerations that I follow during planning events (in an effort to be accredited by IOSH) and will post this here shortly.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 13 December 2002 16:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Matthew Smith Can i take this opportunity in thanking everyone for their reponse. I will take up the help that you have kindly offered and will contact you shortly. Thank you all once again.