Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages<1234>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#81 Posted : 13 January 2003 17:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Thanks Geoff. The extent to which questions have gone unanswered in this thread has been quite interesting.
Admin  
#82 Posted : 14 January 2003 15:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philip McAleenan You are correct Jack, what we infer is not the evidence, but it is what we conclude from the evidence that is before us. By a careful reading of my posting you will note that I did indeed draw a number of inferences from the opinion expressed by Paul, but you will also note that I was far from satisfied with the conclusions and requested from Paul substantiation of his opinions so that I and others may arrive at a more accurate understanding of IOSH's position. Such substantiation has not been forthcoming, nor has there been a rebuttal of my argument. In the absence of either, my inferences are valid, though of course I will be happy to give consideration to alternative inferences should anyone wish to draw them. "If someone is going to make a point... I think it should be based on more than inference". Elaborate on what more you think it should be based on. Read my thread carefully and you will note that I detailed the evidence, (Paul's various statements), applied and detailed my line of reasoning and outlined what inferences may be drawn from them before going on to ask Paul to reply. Therefore my points were made on more than inference alone. You "question" whether some of my " 'inferences' ... were 'deduced from facts and reasoning' ". Again let me have your questions? If you do not put them to me I cannot respond. But before you go there I would point out (probably unnecessarily to you) that inferences are deductions from fact and reasoning, therefore if you accept that I have made inferences you must also accept that I have deduced them from fact and reasoning, and therefore your point is negated. On the other hand, if you do not accept that I have made inferences, and the quotation marks around inference suggests this to me, what have I made? You recommend "suggestion". But where is the difference between, "The facts suggest to me..." and "I infer from the facts..."? If you can show no difference, again your point is negated and it seems to me that all you have done is got yourself wound up in a tautological knot. But why not, instead of playing with semantics, make a reasoned rebuttal to my argument? Regards, Philip
Admin  
#83 Posted : 16 January 2003 08:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young FAO Philip McAleenan Philip, have you ever thought of standing for Council? Having read your postings on various subjects over the years, I'm sure that and Ciaran would achieve a respectable support amongst the "lower level" debating members of the Institution. I for one would welcome the chance to vote in your favour.
Admin  
#84 Posted : 16 January 2003 09:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack Philip, My previous response was to the points made by Tim. I didn't rise to his rather patronising tone but equally didn't feel inclined to give it a full response. I was expecting a response from you which I thought would provide the information I was looking for but, in your response, you seem to have relied solely on the points made by Tim. It was certainly not my intention to get into a debate about semantics. Its probably my fault for not making myself clear. My excuse is that I take so long typing that I try to keep it short. However, at the risk of appearing to get into more semantics I shall try and explain why I think my response was not tautologous When I used the word 'suggest' I didn't actually use it in the context 'The facts suggest to me..'. I had in mind something on the lines of 'cause an association to present itself'. What I was trying to say – obviously very clumsily - was that your deduction was not based on 'facts'. I have re-read Paul's message and I really do not believe that anything he said could lead anyone to conclude as a bold statement of fact 'as Paul held such poor opinions of the organisation' without any caveat or qualification whatsoever. At the end of the day we can probably read all sorts of interpretations into a particular posting. To pull it apart in the way you do scores points but it does not necessarily get any closer to the truth of what was in the mind of the writer. You often quote selectively ignoring any qualifying information. For example: You took 'If we seek to be chartered as individual practitioners, then we must demonstrate that we merit such a status.' And asked 'Do we not merit that Paul?'. Paul in fact went on to explain, making reference to a unified and coherent membership structure, links to the new ENTO core competence standards, a robust system for assuring and maintaining that competence, a system which will differentiate between those eminent in other professions who seek to be members of IOSH because they have a contribution to make to its enrichment as a learned society, and those who are the competent generalist safety and health practitioners who may ultimately satisfy the criteria for individual chartered status. Now we may argue about whether we actually need to jump through these hoops and what the values of Chartered status are, but when Paul's first sentence is seen in this context it is clear to me that it should not be used as evidence of him having a poor opinion of the organisation. He was simply stating what was necessary to gain this status.
Admin  
#85 Posted : 16 January 2003 13:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Jack I'm not knocking your contribution but wouldn't it be better to encourage Paul to answer the comments made by Philip rather than going round in circles. After all it was Paul who talked about the poor quality contributions and it is Paul who is the best person to defend his own comments - as you say it is the intention that counts. If Paul isn't willing to do this, we all have to draw our own conclusions on what he meant. Geoff
Admin  
#86 Posted : 16 January 2003 14:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack Geoff, I take your point and I even considered including reference to that in my last posting. I thought it might further confuse the issue and anyway life is too short especially with my keyboard skills. I do think though it is important to make the points that I did because I feel that some of these hectoring, point scoring responses, which dissect every phrase to come up with a meaning which can then be shot down in flames may actually stifle debate. (I think I could probably be accused of similar contributions in the past but Philip does it so much better). Hardly surprising Paul doesn't make another posting on this issue (especially as he is no longer President) as it will obviously be deconstructed in a very negative fashion. After all although president of IOSH he is (I assume - I have no personal knowledge) an ordinary health and safety practitioner who (presumably) spends a lot of his own time carrying out IOSH work. He might have used some phrases which were, especially after close examination, inappropriate but then don't we all. His comment about the level of debate (which led to much criticism) was probably directed at my first contribution. From an IOSH presidents point of view I think it was 'a poor level of debate' - rubbish in fact! So I took no offence.
Admin  
#87 Posted : 16 January 2003 20:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tim Jack I see you are getting the chance to improve your keyboard skills. All is not lost. :-) Tim
Admin  
#88 Posted : 20 January 2003 14:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson tautologous what the eck?!* Anyway as I am aslo a member of another Chartered Institution (can only get this now by Degree, APC and CPD) a as well as IOSH it will be intereting to see in the forthcoming years at what stage entry to Chartered status of IOSH is by University Degree ONLY for newly qualified H&S people. Watch this space!
Admin  
#89 Posted : 21 January 2003 11:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philip McAleenan Jack, I tried to take the opportunity to raise in private a point regarding your posting of 16th January, but the e-mails are being bounced back from your address as a delivery failure? Your posting contains a substantial portion which is materially inaccurate and states as true something which is undoubtedly not so. In respect of my posting of 29th November, you state, "You often quote selectively ignoring any qualifying information", and proceed to illustrate an example by quoting a section from that posting. However, for whatever reason you have failed to quote sufficient from my posting that would have showed that not only did I not ignore qualifying information, but on the contrary dealt with it at length. Please re-read the relevant paragraph from Paul's posting that you selected and the several paragraphs that I wrote in response to that specific paragraph. If you had included this in you posting, your point would have been negated in its entirety. I assume an error on your part in the reading of my posting rather than any attempt to mislead the readership, and I look forward to a speedy correction. Regards, Philip
Admin  
#90 Posted : 22 January 2003 09:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young As this thread continues, it has become apparent that many of the contributors wish to hear of the benefits associated with "Chartered" status. Once & for all, can we be advised by those in the know, by any forum they choose, just what these benefits are. After all, it's no good toeing the party line, when we don't know what we're toeing it for. Let us know, we can take it.
Admin  
#91 Posted : 22 January 2003 10:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall Ron, I'd love this thread to be deleted to be quite frank. It's gone on too long. I truly feel that this forum should be for users to post questions relevant to SHE Management, and for members to help these people out. The Chartered Status is in its infancy and we are the lucky ones as we are members of IOSH. I really believe that IOSH are getting it right. However, that's just my opinion.
Admin  
#92 Posted : 22 January 2003 10:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Fully agree Tony, but how can we fully accept what is happening when we don't know how it is going to affect us in the future.
Admin  
#93 Posted : 22 January 2003 10:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall By being positive that's how. I can see where you are coming from Ron but we have seen recent changes in senior staff at IOSH, it's just a case of "watch this space". We really do get value for money although I agree with the inital annoyance about the cost of the flyer which meant nothing to me. Point taken however.
Admin  
#94 Posted : 22 January 2003 12:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gareth Bryan Is there a prize for the 100th response? If so may I suggest a framed copy of the flyer that appears to have started all of this !
Admin  
#95 Posted : 22 January 2003 12:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Minty I thought that I would post this response from the study support forum, by Stuart Nagle. As it poses some very important questions as to the future qualifications route for IOSH, in light of the new chartered status. I would find the answers to these questions very important as I am trying to decide myself whether to go down the NEBOSH Diploma route or the Postgraduate route. "Re: Who's had to pay themselves? Posted by Stuart Nagle on Sunday, 08 December 2002 at 22:06 Dear, All. Thank you all for your honest, forthright and well written responses to the questions posed. As I am sure all of you are aware, there are many questions that need to be asked about the availability and access to routes of qualifications, their standards and the financial costs of attaining those qualifications available. As we are all aware, Health & Safety is an issue that is at the forefront of work activity in the UK, and probably enjoys at this time a higher profile than at any time in the past, and is acknowledged to have benefits for both employers and employees alike. Recently, through much hard work by the Committees and employees of IOSH I'm sure, IOSH achieved the status of becomming a 'Chartered Body' but as yet, not entitled to award the title of 'Chartered' (Safety Professional?) to it's many and various members at corporate level and/or a similar recognised professional title to non-corporate qualified members. Several issues encouraged me to ask the question 'Who's had to pay for themselves', not least the poor availability and high costs of courses, and although hoping for a better response, I think it is clear that in the main self-finance and self sacrifice to attain qualifications is more likely than finding an employer who wholeheartedly pays for and supports employees with time off to attain the qualifications the employer is seeking in his/her employee(s). As far as 'Direct Entry Examinations' or 'Mature Candidate Routes' are concerned, all should be aware that both these options are employed (and likely to be sought by the privvy council in IOSH's case) by other Professional Chartered Institutions. These routes are not meant to detract from the professional standing of those who have qualified via the usual routes (BSc/PgC/MSc etc to indiviual Chartered status etc) but to ensure and enhance the reputation and standing of institutions by: A) Having a mechanism whereby highly experienced professionals who have not had the opportunity to gain qualifications may obtain professional standing equivilent to those who have, and with whom they equate, by having been extensively interviewed by a peer review group at that level, and B) having an examination whereby those who cannot undertake the reconised training can be examined at a set level that equates with those examinations not available. As can be seen from the responses made, attaining qualifications in Health and Safety can often be time consuming, financially difficult to manage, and often involve members having to forego their own time where employers will not allow time off or sponsor employees. I have said it on other threads, but will be boring and repeat myself here (as many members, one must assume, do not fully grasp the whole effects likely to arise by IOSH attaining status to be able to award Chartered Status on members in the future) that this WILL require sweeping changes to the way the Institutions membership is organised, in so much as it awards corporate and non-corporate membership, and to the level of qualifications that will be necessary to attain/achieve corporate and non-corporate membership of the Institution. As stated previously, The likely qualifications for full corporate membership (and you can check this out by visiting the www sites of other Chartered Bodies who can award the title of 'Chartered Engineer/Surveyor' etc to members) will be MSc/PgC/BSc (for MIOSH) I expect, and (at present - with the lack of other qualifications in this field) NEBOSH Full Diploma (1&2) - and perhaps NVQ4 for a Non-Corporate membership (title of, for instance Incorprated Safety Professional - equivilent of Incorporated Engineer). Other persons seeking membership with other qualifications (of less acedemic rigour than the above such as NEBOSH Cert and others) are likely to be offered some form of non-corporate associate membership. Let me state here that I do not have insight into IOSH and I am not aware of what they intend to do, but I do have experience in the standards and routes to registration (SARTOR) for attainment of the titles of 'Chartered Engineer' and Incorporated Engineer, these standards being set by other bodies (Engineering Council under the Privvy Council and in conjunction with the respective 'Nominating Bodies' i.e. the other Professional Chartered Institutions), and we must therefore realise that similar standards WILL APPLY to IOSH if it intends to become an awarding body - and of course it's members need to know this as far in advance as possible. Without going on much more (too long a response already...) there needs to be clear information for all members on: 1) What IOSH intends to do - is it aiming to become an awarding body? 2) If so, all members need to know what is proposed in respect of membership and qualification levels and the criteria for those membership levels 3) There needs to be clear action by the lead professional body for health and safety - IOSH, on improving; (a) the number, location and quality standards of courses available to members to enable study for prospective members at all levels (now and proposed) (b) reducing costs to allow study and perhaps considering bursaries to those who need assistance to study (c) A review and leadership from the highest levels of IOSH on the structure and qualification and routes to membership that are available and that will be available in the future (d) A clear indication also of the structure that will permit highly experienced persons who are not academically qualified to be able to attain membership through a Mature Candidate Route (e) a clear indication that all members will be invited to give their views and allowed a vote on these issues to ensure that the whole of the memberships views are fully represented in the future of the institution. Finally, If you have views on these subjects, as I do, please voice them - whether you agree or not. At this time I think it is vital that all of you with views on these subjects express them. The Institution can and will only benefit from you putting your views and points across. "
Admin  
#96 Posted : 22 January 2003 16:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Whilst appreciating the point that IOSH are not awarding the chartered status in title to individual Members, my initial surprise, which prompted me to start this thread, was that they aren't even awarding it to themselves in any evident way - by not including the term within their title or newly-designed logo. After 94 reponses and 14220 viewings this still remains a mystery.
Admin  
#97 Posted : 22 January 2003 16:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Ah but Ken - its the quality of the responses that count. The ex President said so! Geoff
Admin  
#98 Posted : 23 January 2003 08:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack Philip OK I give up on this (and the will to live). It seems I am in a minority of one and although you have only had any overt support for your views from Tim I suspect the quiescent agreement with your views of most other contributors. I therefore unreservedly apologise for questioning your (to echo Tim's words) erudite posting, for the errors I have made and any attempts to mislead the 'readership'. (And for boring everyone stupid). I fully accept Paul's posting contained all the information for you to prove beyond reasonable doubt, without need for caveat or qualification that 'Paul held such poor opinions of the organisation'. Quod erat demonstrandum. Jack
Admin  
#99 Posted : 23 January 2003 14:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Johnson Hey Jack is this that irony you English think the rest of the world doesn't understand. By the way Jack you obviously haven't worked out what most of us surely know. The contributor whose alter ego is Tim!!? David C Johnson
Admin  
#100 Posted : 23 January 2003 15:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson If this is 100th post do I win the free prize or have to chance my arm again with the Lotto or a lucky bag! MBA here we come!
Admin  
#101 Posted : 23 January 2003 15:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young Dave, No, but hopefully this is...
Admin  
#102 Posted : 23 January 2003 15:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack ONE HUNDREDDDDD Who says I'm English?
Admin  
#103 Posted : 23 January 2003 15:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack B&*ger got it wrong again.
Admin  
#104 Posted : 23 January 2003 17:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt David I haven't worked out who Tim is. I know a kindred soul when I see (read) one and you'll see he/she has contributed from way back including the old forum. Do tell. To All Are any contributors to this forum (including Tim & Arran) interested in a 'get together' at the IOSH Conference in Glasgow? What a boring session that would be! but it would be nice to put faces to some of the names. Geoff
Admin  
#105 Posted : 23 January 2003 17:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson I'm up for that! Do I win a prize??
Admin  
#106 Posted : 23 January 2003 17:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tim OK So who am I? Tim
Admin  
#107 Posted : 23 January 2003 20:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie My God Tim, You must be really stressed out! I thought I had problems, but at least I know who I am (I think!) Laurie
Admin  
#108 Posted : 24 January 2003 09:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis But do any of us really exist or do we just think we do. INTERSUBJECTIVE REALITY rules KO Bob
Admin  
#109 Posted : 25 January 2003 21:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor We seem to be in danger of 'losing the thread' on this one now. As it comes down to an economic choice each year, I tend to favour the Public Services Specialist Group Annual Seminar (formerly MAPS at Keele) to the Annual Conference. So, despite my Glasgow ancestry, I shall hope to see some of you at that venue - that is if IOSH allow me to go this time.
Admin  
#110 Posted : 28 January 2003 10:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tim Well done IOSH You appear to have killed this one by backing out of the serious debate and letting the trivia take over. Interesting management style! Tim
Admin  
#111 Posted : 31 January 2003 08:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By dim sung Tim You part of problem not solution, Dim: 'OK So who am I? Tim' 'I see you are getting the chance to improve your keyboard skills. All is not lost. :-) Tim'
Admin  
#112 Posted : 01 February 2003 20:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie I must apologise to Tim, and any others who think that I have trivialised this thread; such was not my intent. I first expressed my views about the way IOSH is run in the pages of the Practitioner some ten years ago, and I have repeated my concerns on several occasions since, the last time was in my separate thread on 20 December, when I also expressed my support for this thread. I no longer have any particular axe to grind in this area, since I have now resigned from IOSH. Having had my portfolio for re-grading to Tech SP turned down I see little point in remaining a junior member of an organisation where after ten years the prospects for any advancement seem out of reach. I repeat my support for this thread (and this forum), I also repeat my assertion that the public expression of so many and varied views indicate to me that the underlying health of the Institution is good. My best wishes to (C)IOSH and its members for the future, particularly to those members who are, perhaps imperceptibly, starting to change things Laurie
Admin  
#113 Posted : 01 February 2003 23:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Whiston As a H&S practitioner with environmental responsibilities I note that the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment are going ahead with their charter application too.. and they have included the provision for Chartered Environmnentalists. "The Society for the Environment was launched in October 2002, the IEMA is one of the ten founding bodies. The Society's next major milestone is the submission of a petition to the Privy Council for incorporation by Royal Charter and a new qualification, Chartered Environmentalist (CEnv).Preliminary discussions have already taken place with the Privy Council and the Society is aiming to complete the application process by the end of 2003". For further details see www.iema.net It seems they have listened more to their members.
Admin  
#114 Posted : 02 February 2003 10:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt I can't be the only one who thinks this thread has now outlived its usefulness. I would like to make a couple of comments, though, before not looking at it again! First, I'm really sorry that Laurie has decided to resign from IOSH. We certainly need an active membership, so that the views of the whole community are heard if not always agreed with. Twenty years ago I thought one of the many problems was that people seemed content to be herded around like sheep by those with strong convictions. So the answer is, don't quit but make more noise. The people on Council and taking active parts elsewhere are just like all of you, and they want a two-way dialogue with the membership. Second, and to continue the theme - there are Council elections coming up. If you want to change things, stand for election on a platform of your choice. Candidates have their material circulated to all members. If you want to change the policy, either stand yourself or vote for someone who matches your viewpoint. It's really easy to imagine that the Council is a self-perpetuating bunch of bores who are out of touch - but your vote put them there. Or if you didn't vote, then don't complain. But they are all practising H&S people just like you, grabbing time from their work to make a difference. You could join them. Or be a Forum whinger. Allan
Admin  
#115 Posted : 02 February 2003 20:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Allan Don't misunderstand my reason for resignation - it has nothing to do with this thread or dissatisfaction with Council. Like you, I believe that if you don't like something then try to change it, an operation best carried out from the inside. The reason for my resignation is simply as stated - if I can't even get to Tech SP level after ten years there seems little point in kidding myself that I may still progress upwards, and I might as well give up and let the more competent get on with it! Laurie
Admin  
#116 Posted : 03 February 2003 08:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Allan You said: 'The people on Council and (sic) taking active parts elsewhere are just like all of you, and they want a two-way dialogue with the membership.' The response by Council members, especially our ex president, does not bear this statement out. So far if comprises one way statements which they are not prepared to discuss any further. You also said: 'It's really easy to imagine that the Council is a self-perpetuating bunch of bores who are out of touch - but your vote put them there. Or if you didn't vote, then don't complain. But they are all practising H&S people just like you, grabbing time from their work to make a difference. You could join them. Or be a Forum whinger.' I find this entire statement so out of touch with reality that I can't believe you, of all people, wrote it. What is required is proper responses from Council - so that we know why decisions have been made and the readiness to argue the case. I can not think of one instance on this forum where someone has said they are dissatisfied with the current Council members - they just want some evidence their views are taken into account and answers to reasonable questions. If you don't vote don't complain - I was under the impression that a lot of people who make up the membership of IOSH, and thus are affected by IOSH decisions, do not have a vote. From now on I will have to think twice before I contribute, I wouldn't want to be labelled a 'forum whinger' - then again I'm tempted to get a badge made, and wear it with pride at the Glasgow conference. Geoff
Admin  
#117 Posted : 03 February 2003 13:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Allan St.John Holt Geoff, I always think twice before I contribute anyway. But I certainly wouldn't class you as a Forum whinger. I'm surprised you find the statement you quoted to be out of touch with reality - I've read it again, and I can't think of anything I'd want to change in it. I really do believe that the average member of Council wants to do a good job in the interests of the membership, and that means keeping their finger on the pulse of opinion. My own view, for what it's worth, is that IOSH has lost an opportunity here and I can't see why they decided not to progress with Chartering individuals. But that's what they, the elected members, decided. If I want to change the policy, I can always offer that as a platform. I could also object to the policy on who gets a vote, but that's an old one and unlikely to change. In any organisation such as IOSH the corporate members are typically those with the voting rights. IOSH has always tried to keep the ratio between elected and non-elected down to 1 or less than 1:1 - without success so far. Geoff, I have no problem with annoying people with my views, but I'd be surprised if you didn't actually share them! Allan
Admin  
#118 Posted : 03 February 2003 17:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Allan I was being a little harsh with the reality statement - please accept my apologies. The points I was making are: No one doubts the integrity of Council members, or the amount of work they put in - but not one has tried to properly answer the questions posed on this forum. To me it does not appear to be a two way dialogue. You said that if you didn't vote - don't complain. But the majority of the membership don't have a vote. Does that mean they should not have a voice? As an aside it has been indicated by Council that the forum is not the right place to discuss such things. In my opinion it is the ideal place - most people have access to the internet and it gives everyone the chance of an input and to discuss whatever topic they choose. It is the only medium that allows us to do this. Unfortunately if we can't involve Council members on the Forum it is probably all a waste of time. I probably do share many of your views, but perhaps we can agree to occasionally disagree? Do I still get the book??? Geoff
Admin  
#119 Posted : 07 February 2003 14:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Back up here again! Having kept 'tabs' on this thread for a while I may have lost the plot. So can someone answer a couple of questions? 1 If NO Chartered H&S People why go to the expense time effort etc 2. If NO chartered Institute then why as above. 3. Can I have a badge?
Admin  
#120 Posted : 07 February 2003 18:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor You'll have to get the badge from Geoff at Glasgow, Dave. You have summarised the remaining questions but no-one seems to have the answers or, if so, the wish to share them with us. How about a chartered institute of forum whingers?