Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 12 November 2002 09:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
I've just received a glossy brochure telling me that IOSH has received chartered status, that it will improve the standing of the Institution and that they are are not going to call it the Chartered Institution of OS&H but will continue with the logo 'IOSH'. Am I missing something here?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 12 November 2002 09:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack
I've heard there was an error in the 'application' for Chartered status. Because of the way it was worded IOSH became chartered but couldn't call itself the chartered institution. No one seems to have admitted this so maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick. No problem they'll be able to fix it by going back to the Privy Council and standing on one leg for another 25 years!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 November 2002 09:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall
Perhaps we will see a list of the member benefits soon!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 November 2002 11:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Website Co-ordinator
I can confirm that there was no error made in requesting the same name for the Chartered status body.

The name "Institution of Occupational Safety and Health" was approved by Council and the name and acronym "IOSH" was fully endorsed by members when feedback was sought during the branding and corporate image consultation process.

Subject to approval both from members (at an Annual General Member or Extraordinary General Meeting) and the Privy Council, changes to the Charter and Byelaws can be made at a later stage if and when Council decides this is appropriate. Applications, made with both feet firmly on the ground, would be processed much quicker than the twenty five years suggested!

Colin Gore

Head of Finance and Secretariat
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 November 2002 12:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By JULIE SANDERS
EXACTLY WHAT BENEFIT ARE WE, AS MEMBERS TO GAIN FROM THIS?
Admin  
#6 Posted : 12 November 2002 15:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack
Somehow its even worse to think it was planned this way. IOSH is Chartered but its not included in the name? Why not? What was the thinking behind it. The CIEH managed to get Chartered in its title. Why did IOSH decide that wasn't for us?
Admin  
#7 Posted : 12 November 2002 15:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall
I just hope it doesn't dishearten those people in the industry, at grass routes, who are trying to climb the ladder in the field of occupational safety,health and environmenatl management. For example, those of graduate calibre in Environmental Science for example who then have to undertake a Nebosh Part 1 (or equivalent) to even achieve TechSP because it isn't recognised. After all practitioners are told how health and safety is integrated with environmental management.
Others, who achieve a Nebosh Certificate (and have not taken a University route)after much hard work for little recognition.
I am not being cynical but it seems to be getting tougher with the Chartered status yet we can't use chartered designatory letters. There must be a reason.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 12 November 2002 17:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Warrington
Agree with you Tony, I am 31 and one of those trying to climb the IOSH ladder and have worked in safety for 7 years. I recently got my MIOSH after spending many hours of my own time weekends and evenings studying my NEBOSH Dips 1 and 2. The work was hard but I figured it was worth it to have corporate membership of a respected professional body. Now I wonder whether the goalposts are being moved and the work I have done won't be enough. Will I now need to study for my MSc to become chartered? Anyone feel the same?
Mark
Admin  
#9 Posted : 12 November 2002 18:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack
Mark I think you may be confusing 2 issues here. It is the Institution which is Chartered not individual members (although that may happen in future).
Admin  
#10 Posted : 12 November 2002 18:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Wright
For continual improvement in health and safety performance in this country, health and safety practitioners need to be given a little more professional respect for the competencies they have. If I, as a member of IOSH (A' levels, honours degree, NEBOSH 1+2), do not have the same professional integrity, competency, value and abilities as say, someone in the RICS, then why not just say so - tell me what's lacking and how I reach that higher level. I work with chartered professionals and I know that I am as professionally competent as they are but 'Ah, but you're not chartered' will always crop up.

I know a number of IOSH members who feel quite deflated that IOSH achieved chartered status only to discover that this could never be publically diplayed (it is attached to the Institution's procedures but not to it's name or to the Members).

If health and safety is to gain open recognition and integration into daily work procedures and practices then health and safety practitioners need to be able to stand shoulder to shoulder with with all other professionals.

I will be very interested to see what real, practical benefits filter through to members over the coming months.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 13 November 2002 08:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
So, we're not to be called Chartered Institution (despite being chartered) because the Council decided - but this could be changed if the Council decides! There must be a better explanation than this.
Admin  
#12 Posted : 13 November 2002 09:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
My, my we are becoming cynical about the role of Council - and I am afraid that Council have only themselves to blame. It is not so many years ago that I was concerned at the AGM that persons had submitted Proxies and were still allowed to vote in person on other votes at the meeting, some may remember the complications. We were I seem to remember undertaking a Proxy Ballot-an idea which is not allowed in the Constitution or articles or Company Law-persons present at the meeting were not allowed to vote as only proxies held by the Chair were counted, even the proxies I held were not counted! We are not now, or soon will not be, a company limited by guarantee, so even the scant cloth of an AGM, required under Company Law, will technically no longer be essential as Council will be able to decide.

The solution for corporate members is to vote at elections and choose the candidates for change. Unfortunately the TechSPs cannot do this but I would encourage them to make their voice heard at Branch etc and in any forum available.

I agree that it would have been better to incorporate the word "chartered" into the title and have yet to meet this groundswell of member support otherwise.

Bob
Admin  
#13 Posted : 13 November 2002 09:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young
In light of the rather sceptical/cynical postings on this subject, perhaps we could get a response from council as to their reasons why they didn't include "Chartered" in the overall re-branding exercise. On the face of it, it does seem to be a missed opportunity but there may be a logical reason behind their thinking.
Admin  
#14 Posted : 13 November 2002 11:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ashley Williams
Could someone from IOSH respond to these comments please? It would be nice to not have the worry that an error was made on the application. Alternatively a response as to why the we are not using the Chartered status would be useful also.

Ashley
Admin  
#15 Posted : 13 November 2002 12:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
Ashley
If you read the response posted under the Website co-ordinator you will note that it was a deliberate Council decision. Note also it will change if and when Council decides to do so. The offering to members at an AGM or EGM will not I suspect be essential as I think the change in status away from a company limited by guarantee would result in automatic changes to the articles of association. The need for an AGM is actually Company Law. I would be pleased to hear from Paul F or other that IOSH will maintain the member vote at a General Meeting as a final decision,ie. retain the current articles and decision making processes intact.

Bob
Admin  
#16 Posted : 13 November 2002 12:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker
Whilst I may be accused of "brown-nosing" I think people should hold their fire criticising IOSH council, remember they are doing is voluntary. I doubt they have a hidden agenda and want the same things as us. Also if you are unhappy stand for election.

Having said that, I'm disappointed that the outcome of all this work has not resulted in Chartered Safety Practitioners. What has it all been for?

The glossies that arrived last week are a waste of my subscriptions.
Admin  
#17 Posted : 13 November 2002 13:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
Jim
Criticising council has been a sport since IISO and IMSO joined over 20 years ago, as the French would say "That's Life". I know many of the members of Council and they are all decent and hard working for the future of the institution. I think there is always a tension however between the need for a democratic structure where individual members feel involved and party to decisions and the need to make decisions quickly.

The Chartered issue is a reflection in many ways of this divide. We all know people who like you and I who would prefer the Chartered in the title. A decision on the path forward has to be made however and I think the information given to Council on this needs to be questioned.

My instincts are always towards democracy and the individual, I can put up a very effective case for anarchy as the purest form of democracy but that is another story. Perhaps this is why I tend to prod Council to get a positive response that is pro-member control. I think this thread shows that there is still a level of asking "Who is in control?"

Bob
Admin  
#18 Posted : 13 November 2002 13:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall
The twenty years involvement may worry the young blood who are trying to climb the ladder in this occupation.
Goalposts appear to be changing just by the use of the word "Chartered"!!
Admin  
#19 Posted : 13 November 2002 13:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment
If you search the archives you'll find a number of instances where the 'Chartered' issue was raised.

The last thread I remember was when (i think)Ciaran McAleenan posted an extract from an article that raised valid concerns about Charterhood in the modern setting. I particularly asked the Council to explain the fundamental benefits of gaining such status. I was not satisfied with the vague "raising profile and standards" response. Many of you are expressing chagrin at losing the opportunity of displaying an extra meaningless letter in your qualification (for many reasons).

Perhaps we should all be asking Council the same question "Why Chartered status at all?"

I remain very sceptical of the reasons why , perhaps it's seen as the thing to do , blindlessly following other organisations down the "Royal association ,however tenuous, is good" route without stopping and thinking. Despite Chartered status IOSH remains the same (literally, where the title is concerned) as far as work and aims are concerned, so what are the benefits? I mean the organisational benefits and not the short sighted, selfish designatory letters benefits.

I'd be willing to bet that the pro Chartered, tenuous Royal association is good lobby are keeping Princess Diana at the No 2 spot in the Beeb Great Briton vote. ;-)
Admin  
#20 Posted : 14 November 2002 10:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Website Co-ordinator
I find it very sad to see this level of debate about such an important achievement in the history of IOSH, as I approach the end of my term of office.

The route to the Charter and the reason why the decision was taken to petition for it was very well explained in SHP and also in the posting on the website by the Chief Executive in July.

There has also been a clear explanation of why and how IOSH has re-branded itself, an exercise which was originally on a parallel track to that of the Charter but which became convergent when the news of the granting of the Charter became known.

Those who attended Branch meetings at which I spoke last year would have heard me address these issues and also explain why we would not be known as “CIOSH” or be chartered as individual members.

We will not gain the respect of other professions which already have achieved chartered status if we continue to engage in such poor quality debate. This forum is not the place to air views in relation to the constitutional monarchy. And it is insulting in the extreme to make statements of the nature of some in this string in relation to the Charter itself and the work of members and staff who have contributed to its achievement as well as the work on the IOSH brand. Furthermore, it is also insulting to the community of chartered bodies, since many count amongst their members, as we do, professionals from other nations beyond the boundaries of the UK. Those persons acknowledge that the charter confers on their profession a status that defines its achievement in society.

There are other professional bodies which have been granted Charters but do not have the “chartered” incorporated into their name. Our chartered status will be declared in all of our publications, literature and stationery from 1 April 2003, the formal date of incorporation.

The purpose of communicating directly to all members the nature of the changes in relation to the Institution’s new status and new brand was to ensure that they are fully informed and enabled, as they may wish, to share the information with others in a very direct way.

Of course we will not see immediate benefits and it is naive to think that we will. But I believe that over time, as has been seen in other professions, the standing of our members will rise and so will their value to employers. We will also be treated differently than before in relation to our dealings with other stakeholders and those we seek to influence. We are now recognised in a way that we were not before.

If we seek to be chartered as individual practitioners, then we must demonstrate that we merit such a status. In pursuit of that objective, we must first have a unified and coherent membership structure and that needs to be linked to the new ENTO core competence standards for health and safety practice. We must also have a robust system for assuring and maintaining that competence. Furthermore, we must have a system which will differentiate between those eminent in other professions who seek to be members of IOSH because they have a contribution to make to its enrichment as a learned society, and those who are the competent generalist safety and health practitioners who may ultimately satisfy the criteria for individual chartered status.

Those of you who have expressed such strong feelings about your Institution should seriously consider offering yourselves to serve it, if you are not already doing so. If you join a club, you agree to abide by its rules. If you want to change the rules, it’s always best to get yourself onto the management committee. That’s how I came to be President!

Paul Faupel
President

Admin  
#21 Posted : 14 November 2002 14:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young
FAO Paul Faupel,

You're message is clear and to all intents I agree with it. However, to further an issue;
you said that a clear explanation of the route to charter was placed in SHP in July, I agree, it was very informative and SHP is the correct medium to use. You also mention that you addressed the issue of not using "chartered" in the IOSH name and individually, via the branch network medium. As one of those (many) members who, due to a variety of reasons, do not attend branch meetings, I am not au fait with your address. I would therefore ask, why wasn't your address also published in SHP (I can't recall seeing it), which would have had the effect of informing those who don't attend branch meetings of the reasoning behind the council decisions process. I would also ask if you would care to publish the basis address in a forthcoming edition of SHP. I believe, perhaps wrongly, that this course of action would answer some of the questions asked on this thread.

Ron
Admin  
#22 Posted : 14 November 2002 14:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Paul

I haven't entered into this debate earlier because, frankly, Chartered Status is of no interest to me either way.

Whilst I agree with the 'general points' (I note you did not answer any specific questions) you make in response to this debate, you have used the words 'poor quality'.

Contributors to this thread are, in the main, members of the Institution but unlike yourself the majority do not wish to serve on Committees - it would be nice to have the time.

My question is:

Surely all contributors are entitled to their opinion without adverse comments on the quality of their contributions?

Geoff Burt
Admin  
#23 Posted : 14 November 2002 15:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment
Hmmm!

Paul

I feel I have to respond.

Like Geoff I don't really care about Chartered status. Whilst I applaud IOSH staff for their efforts in achieving it I cannot help but wonder why so much resources (time, effort & money) have been used to to gain this anachronistic embellishment. Your responses in July and today, and the SHP article, still didn't answer my questions I'm afraid. I'm not alone.

I am rather saddened by the disdain with which you hold the "poor quality" discussion on this issue. The strength of IOSH has always been it's members and if some have opposing views to yours, or views that appear uncomfortable, that doesn't make their contributions "poor".

Regarding joining the structure of IOSH, I have more pressing needs such as a family, a job and work to hold down. I'm happy to leave such efforts to people like you but that doesn't mean I forfeit my right to chip in now and again.

Anyway, thanks for your response.

Regards
Admin  
#24 Posted : 14 November 2002 16:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Day
Ken,

I agree with what you are saying about the chartered status, but personally I think that Graduates with a degree in Health and Safety do not get the recognition that they deserve.

I do agree with the premise that experience is as important as qualifications but until the entry requirements are changed so all members have to have a degree or a masters then our institute will not be granted equal status to fellow institutes such as ICE or RICS.

David Day
BSc(Hons) GradOSH MIIRSM GradMCIWM
Admin  
#25 Posted : 15 November 2002 08:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall
David,
Only if it a relevant degree. I don't think IOSH should take any Tom, Dick or Harry just because of degree status. My point is that certain qualifications (Environmental Science related) should be considered as the qualification covers integrated issues of Health, Safety and Environmental Management.
Clearly also, the individual needs to demonstrate workplace experience in this sector to support such an application.
I know many people, without such a degree, in this sector who are embassadors to both IOSH and the discipline of SHE Management!!
They're knowledge and method of delivery in getting things done is second to none!!
Admin  
#26 Posted : 15 November 2002 09:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
Paul
It saddens me, as a long standing member, to see the immediate response of our President being to criticise the level of debate on an issue. I have long supported the Institution seeking chartered status and I feel that I should remain free to express dissent from the decision of Council, whilst still accepting that this was the decision. Should I have been a member of Council I would have been required by Cabinet responsibility not to express such views outside Council. The fact remains however that the AGM did not, as far as I am aware, vote on this matter. I still will hold to my fundamental democratic beliefs that this was an issue that should be so decided.

Your derision at those who question is standard for an authority who is challenged and it represents a distortion of what has been occurring in this thread. In fact it is perhaps not the other contributors who are lowering our image because of the quality of debate but yourself with your immediate antagonistic opening.

There are those of us on this thread who do serve the structures of the Institution in some capacity but are unable to offer more time because of heavy work committments. We serve the continued existence of IOSH through our daily professional lives and in many instances via voluntary service to our local communities. It saddens me also that we as an Institution have failed to get across to some members the importance of the Charter and I hope that the discusion here will start a process within which people may begin to recognise that the new status is vital to the long term development of our profession. We are all, I believe, passionate about the safety of our fellow human beings, mine being fuelled by the loss of 10 close friends at Flixboro' where I used to work.

A non-antagonistic response to the genuine questions and concerns would have served all much better, we are after all co-members and professional colleagues.

Bob
Admin  
#27 Posted : 16 November 2002 21:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
Those who have read my original contribution will have seen that it related only to the non-use of the term Chartered in the Institution's title and not to the designation of individual members. As one who supported the application for chartered status I was surprised to hear that the Institution would not be calling itself chartered - and, as yet, have not heard or read the reason for this. Confident that I am not the only member to have missed the President's explanation (and not having detected it in his response above), I should be grateful if he would put me and the many others out of our bewilderment.
Admin  
#28 Posted : 17 November 2002 21:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Waldram
The following are personal views from someone who has been closely involved in many of the key decisions discussed by previous contributors, but no longer has any special status, except as one of 40-odd elected Council members. My purpose is to add to the range of personal opinions previously expressed, which are a fascinating mix – what a wonderful range of personalities we have among 26000+ members! (assuming that those contributing to this topic are all members).

I have just had two excellent days in Edinburgh, celebrating various achievements at Murrayfield, one of which was the formal presentation of our Royal Charter at the annual dinner. Such formal events are not everyone’s cup of tea, nor are all those who wish to be present able to make it. But it was a happy and memorable occasion for over 200 members (one of whom has been in IOSH for 50 years!) and it’s maybe worth comparing that number with those who have publicly said they think it’s all a great waste of time and effort.

For those who aren’t certain about the point of a Charter in today’s world, the Privy Council website provides some opinions (www.privy-council.org.uk). For me the question of who signs the document isn’t important – the real value is the range of bodies who have to be convinced that the applicant organisation meets the criteria summarised there. I believe IOSH under-estimated the effort required to convince all the many consultees, but the process has been invaluable by helping us to generate really good evidence as well as making new contacts with whom we need to work more closely in today’s world.

Such issues my seem irrelevant in your own workplace, but I suggest the influence, teamwork and reputation of individual members complements and supports that of the whole body, and vice versa. If either is missing, our work will be the less effective – we will fail to prevent injury and ill-health (and it’s worth remembering that is the declared fundamental purpose of our organisation – improved professional status is a valid aim only so long as it also helps to improve workplace health and safety).

There is no single reason why Council decided not to change our well-known initials on receiving the charter. Initial thoughts were that we should, however research of actual and potential external stakeholders showed the existing acronym was already strongly associated with some of the key values we wish to maintain. The are plenty of examples of other bodies which have taken a similar decision in recent years, as well as those that have added a ‘C’ to their initials (e.g. REHIS in Scotland which didn’t change, compared with CIEH which did). In the final analysis Council decided that we probably had more to lose by changing than to gain – time will perhaps tell whether we were right, or maybe we will never know?

Many feel they would benefit immediately by being individually chartered. Paul Faupel’s response perhaps didn’t make clear that we believe that second stage will come. But as he says, we have first to demonstrate we have robust processes for judging continuing competence, not just paper qualifications. To obtain continuing work in an increasingly competitive and litigious world, a professional CV will often become identical to a summary CPD record – if you are the sort of person who keeps your CV current ‘just in case’, then I suggest you should also be registered in the IOSH CPD scheme. The more members who do this voluntarily, and learn and benefit from the process, the sooner the desired second stage will come. But individual charters do require personal commitment and hard work – ask our Chief Executive who became one of the first UK chartered Directors! If a majority of IOSH members continue to say it’s a good idea, but they are themselves too busy to get involved in such things, then progress will be slow!

Apologies for this long response, thanks for reading to the end!!
Admin  
#29 Posted : 18 November 2002 08:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Ian

I, for one, appreciate your reasoned response to this discussion - thank you.

Am I being naive in expecting the same from the 'elected' President rather than a patronising put down?

Geoff
Admin  
#30 Posted : 18 November 2002 09:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Ridd
Geoff,

Seconded.
Admin  
#31 Posted : 18 November 2002 15:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hazel Harvey
Bob,
At the AGM on the 3rd December 1996 the AGM of IOSH overwhelmingly endorsed a Special Resolution calling on the Council to take all necessary steps to petition for the Institution to become incorporated by Royal Charter. You can verify this in your 1997 Annual Report.
Admin  
#32 Posted : 18 November 2002 21:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle
I too have been interested in the progress of the issue of 'Chartered Status' for IOSH and of course it's members.

I wrote an article that was published recently on this subject in the SHP. Obviously as I see no reference to it in the above responses, I assume that no one here actually read it.

Chartered status for members will not happen until IOSH elevates membership criteria to MSc/BSc (or equivilent) for corpoprate members and lesser acedemic qualifications for other grades - similar to those of the other Chartered Professional Bodies able to award the title 'Chartered Engineer' 'Chartered Surveyor' etc.

In order for IOSH to achieve this there is much to do, but one of the advantages it that in place with the acedemic route, there should also be provision for a 'Mature Candidate' route (i.e not having the acedemic qualifications but able to be judged on experience at a level equating to that of the acedemic route for membership).

I reconise this is a thorny issue, and there are those, as am I, who stand with a foot in both camps, recognising that progress of IOSH is by the 'Chartered' route, but also wanting to ensure that in the process, those other members are not forgotten in the rush for the title Chartered Safety Practitioner, and who are also valued and play an active and recognised role in the institutions affairs. All too often the less acedemically gifted or deprived are forgotten or left in limbo whilst the 'Chartered' member is pampered to. One only has to be in membership of a Chartered Body to recogonise this.

In respect of the issue of IOSH and it's status, the membership MUST be able to decide on its future by a referendum of the members, rather than a decision being made in isolation by a committee, elected or not by the members. This issue is too important for that to happen and every member must be entitled to express their opinion.

Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#33 Posted : 19 November 2002 08:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
Thankyou Ian and Stuart. Helpful responses are appreciated. We, at least, now know that there was a number of reasons for the decision and that one of these was a desire to retain the acronym IOSH. In oder to make known our chartered status, I would have hoped that a 'footnote' or similar could have been added to this and to the use of the full name of the body when used on letter heads, official publications and the like stating that we are a chartered institution - at least until the members can have an opportunity to assert that having attained the status we wish to be known as such in title. How about a questionnaire on the website asking 'Now that we are a chartered institution, do you wish us to be called Chartered Institution of Occupational Safety and Health?'?
Admin  
#34 Posted : 21 November 2002 09:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
Yes I know that - see my personal e-mail

Bob
Admin  
#35 Posted : 29 November 2002 11:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philip McAleenan
The president is very sad to see this level of debate on the pending award of Chartered Status. Generally this type of statement is used to state that the level of debate is not of a high enough standard for the forum or the subject matter. And this is what Paul means as within his response he refers to the "poor quality debate" and though others have taken justified umbrage at this slight to the contributors to this forum, he fails to explains what standards are expected and where the debate falls short of them. Though, on the basis of his statement in SHP that the "new-found status is not... be dismissed by those whose personal views may not accord with matters monarchical", his sadness may be due to the fact that there is a debate at all.

But a debate there is and Paul not only is a contributor to it, but as president his contributions, more than those of the rest of us, must be taken as official pronouncements of IOSH and given greater weight in our considerations and responses.

Paul states, "We will not gain the respect of other professions which already have achieved chartered status if we continue to engage in such poor quality debate".

The "poor quality debate" issue aside, there is a second point in this statement that is of note, namely that the inference is that IOSH currently does not have the respect of other chartered professions. If this is indeed the case, then there is much to concern us here but first what we need to see is the evidence of the lack of respect. Paul, you have said it in your official capacity, so now produce the facts that support this contention. However, if the statement is untrue, and I suspect that if other chartered professions did not respect IOSH, then the Privy Council would not be awarding a similar status to us, then what is the statement but mere rhetoric, chagrin at the fact there are those who question what IOSH is doing. And if that is the case, what now about the poor quality of debate?

Paul continues from this sentence with accusations that there are contributors who have made extremely insulting statements about the nature of the charter and the work of members who contributed to its achievement. But what was insulting, and who was insulted, (as a point of fact an inanimate object such as the charter is incapable of taking insult, having neither mental nor emotional capacities). Again we have no facts to back up this statement, just pronouncement, and that is far from sufficient. Is it that opposing or critical views are what insults? Surely not? There was no name-calling and all statements were opinion, something contributors are fully entitled to hold. If people take insult from those who express a different view, then the insulted one is demonstrating a lack of openness to fair and honest debate. And what of this community of chartered bodies who have been insulted, do we have evidence from these august bodies, e.g. letters of protest, phone calls, or is this but Paul's "opinion" based on what he thinks they should be feeling as a result of this debate? Don't be insulted by statements that you disagree with, put a rational counter argument.

Paul then goes on to talk about the insult members of other chartered bodies' feel because "Those persons acknowledge that the charter confers on their profession a status that defines its achievement in society". Is this necessarily true? Do ALL members of chartered bodies feel that chartership confers status that defines their achievement in society? Is it not possible for people to be in chartered bodies for reasons other than it being chartered? And as we have seen in this thread, not all members of chartered bodies will agree with being chartered, but will nonetheless feel that the achievements of their organisation are worthy of status. Again, let us have the empirical proof that supports such sweeping statements, or be clear that it is but an opinion rather than a statement of fact. Keep the level of debate high, with sound argument.

What of this statement, "We will also be treated differently than before in relation to our dealings with other stakeholders and those we seek to influence. We are now recognised in a way that we were not before"?

How will we be treated differently? Will we be treated better, and I assume that this is indeed what is meant? If we are less well treated at the present, what are we less well treated than? Where is the baseline against which Paul makes this statement? If we are not being treated as well as we should be now, what is the reason for it? If the charter (and not the quality of what we do) is the only thing that makes the difference is this not a rather superficial position for those who treat us poorly to take, and for us a superficial response to take? Paul this is no argument for chartered status; this is what Roy Hattersley (Privy Council Member) calls being "part of the deferential society"..."the belief that association with the sovereign reinforces authority". And if he states that, how then can the opinions of previous contributors who stated similar views, be insulting? What may be insulting is that IOSH can make no better case than this.

Let us go on to a few other statements in which the inferences are that IOSH is much less of an organisation than we have been led to believe, and the members less worthy.

"If we seek to be chartered as individual practitioners, then we must demonstrate that we merit such a status". Do we not merit that Paul? What is it that we must demonstrate? Does the Privy Council have higher OSH standards for individual qualifications and practice than IOSH has, or the universities and companies who qualify and employ us? Are we as individuals operating below acceptable standards? If IOSH, after five decades, has not brought the profession to an acceptable standard, surely it is time to disband rather than to seek elevation to a "higher" position in society.

Likewise, when you state that "In pursuit of that objective, we must first have a unified and coherent membership structure", do you infer that IOSH does not have such a structure? If so that one would be hard to swallow. There is and has been a clear membership structure for some time, and though there are those who would argue and criticise the route to varying levels of membership, it doesn't mean that it isn't there. If it wasn't, do you really think that the Privy Council would be awarding the charter now?

And why is it necessary to link it to the new ENTO core competences alone. IOSH claims to be an international organisation and the leading safety professional body in Europe, surely there are other standards for safety practice besides ENTO?

"We must also have a robust system for assuring and maintaining that competence". Give us the evidence that IOSH does not have such a system in place now. If the institute cannot assure and maintain the competence of its members, why are there so many corporate members, in fact why are there any at all? The competence required for gaining, never mind retaining, corporate membership couldn't be assured if your statement is correct. But if it is incorrect, withdraw it.
And what does Paul say about democracy within the organisation. "If you join a club, you agree to abide by its rules. If you want to change the rules, it's always best to get yourself onto the management committee. That's how I came to be President!"

Notwithstanding the tone used in this statement, the implication is that in an organisation such as IOSH with 26,000+ members, rule changing is by the small minority who are on the management committee. Up to this point, i.e. In advance of IOSH officially becoming a chartered body, the constitution makes provision for rule changing by all those who have corporate membership (the other 50% + are disenfranchised). It does not say that rule changing is the responsibility of the management of IOSH. For the President to state that being on the management committee is the best way to change rules is for that committee to act unconstitutionally and against the interests of the membership.
But it should also be noted that should the chartered status be finally conferred next year, even the management committee would have no right to change the rules (Colin Gore please note). This prerogative will belong to the Privy Council, "(d) incorporation by Charter is a form of Government regulation as future amendments to the Charter and By-laws of the body require Privy Council (i.e. Government) approval." (http://www.privy-council.org.uk/secretariat/1999/chart-bodies.htm)
And there is a point in this element of chartered status that has not been made clear, namely that the Privy Council requires that there "needs to be a convincing case that it would be in the public interest to regulate the body in this way". Let me ask at this point, Paul, for that case to be published now.

I trust that this contribution has in someway elevated the level of debate to something approximating an acceptable standard, and that as it is a debate, we will see persuasive arguments for and against the case for chartered status. After all it is only written on a bit of paper, not carved in stone.

Fraternally, Philip

Admin  
#36 Posted : 29 November 2002 11:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young
Philip,

Stunning! Well said.
Admin  
#37 Posted : 29 November 2002 12:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie
Thank you Philip

Laurie
Admin  
#38 Posted : 29 November 2002 12:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment
HEAR!, HEAR!

Eloquently said Philip!

All I have ever asked is how Chartered Status will make IOSH and practitioners do things better than we do at present. None of the articles or comments on this forum have given any substance to their claims that it WILL make every thing much, much more professional etc.

I'm convinced that Chartered Status is of absolutely no consequence and is simply an unnecessary adornment. I was perfectly willing to let the issue go away because I've got a damn sight more worrying things to be getting with.

Of more importance to me was Paul's clear disdain at the discussion and his dismissive, pompous attitude to sincere concerns that he obviously feels personally uncomfortable with. Perhaps the lofty air is a pre-requisite for entering discussions with our learned Chartered brethren!

Once again, congrats to all those who undoubtedly put a lot of effort into achieving the Gong but my feeling is that the enrgy could have been employed on something less trifling.
Admin  
#39 Posted : 29 November 2002 13:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
I don't think I have ever seen a case better put.

However, unless I'm very much mistaken, there will not be a response from Paul. I could go into the reasons why he won't respond but I think we all know them now.

Well done Philip.

Geoff
Admin  
#40 Posted : 29 November 2002 14:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
Unfortunately Philip this will be seen as an effort to disrupt the careful plans made by the management committee. I think you have lucidly placed some of the key issues before the membership at large, at least those who care to read this thread.

I agree that Paul's statement was predominantly assertive with little evidence and it would have been quickly rejected by my directors if I tried to argue a case in a similar vein.

The changes in membership structure are undoubtedly needed in order to clarify the competence status relationships and are long overdue. It is actually unfortunate that the TechSP grade was brought in when it was as the whole process was ill-prepared and we are now trying to cope with the consequences of decisions made some years ago in too much haste. I hope that the new changes will be open for consultation, debate and change until a 2004 date rather than a rush to change in 2003 as I would not like to see the same sort of errors made, sowing seeds for future problems.

Bob