Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 November 2002 10:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Jarman
I would like to hear any comments from people who have completed, or are currently undertaking an NVQ4 qualification in Health and Safety. Of particular interest is the commitment required in terms of time and how people feel that the course has or hasn't met their expectations / requirements.

Many thanks

Mark
Admin  
#2 Posted : 28 November 2002 10:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall
Mark,
The time to complete the NVQ Level 4 depends upon you. It's at your pace. You agree an assessment plan with your assessor.
Don't try to rush it though (between 12 to 15 months is average although with the new standards add a few months perhaps).
Admin  
#3 Posted : 28 November 2002 20:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle
Mark.

The essence of the NVQ system when first introduced was:

1) to enable those who were not acedemcially gifted to progress through a vocational qualification, and

2) have a system that was open ended in respect of time constraints, to allow people to study at their own pace.

In recent times changes have made (2) above somewhat limited and it appears that now time constraints mean you must complete the study within a set time-frame.

This often means that people who are working for a living and having to study in their own time find the going difficult, i.e. they have other things to do and responsibilities at home, and find completing the study is a chore rather than an 'experience'

Also, the standards differ between assessors considerably, some are good and some, to be frank, are considerably less than good.

I would recommend several things to you:

1) sit down and work out what you have/need to do at home - if you are going to study in your own time - and plan a rosta to allow you at least half a day a week to complete the studies and formulate/write your section experience logs and collate your evidence.

2) If you can persuade your employer to let you have half a day to study in work time, even better. The pitch is 'You'll benefit from me doing this' 'How about you assisting me with time to do it'

3) time for sorting, copying and filing evidience 9where you can find it and relate to it in other sections) is important - mess this up and you'll find that you repeat items (not good) and loose/can't find what you're look for or what you want to refer to so a good filing/reference system is also vital.

I would say that give yourself a date goal to complete each section and each sector of the NVQ - complete with evidience - and try to stick to it. i know that things do get in the way, that UEFA match on TV, the latest James Bond on DVD and Aunty May;s 60th birthday party, but do try, if you start to fall behind (like I did) trying to catch up is a real pain.

Lastly, make sure you use you're assessor (if you've got a good one) regularly and have regular meetings to go over what you have done and plan sound off him to get ideas and plan the next bit. If you get a bad one - ditch him quick and get another one who knows the system and can help or you'll end up going around in circles.

Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 November 2002 16:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By KATE PEARSON
Mark I have rescently completed the NVQ4 at BCS College at Nottingham

I think it all depends on were you work o how difficult completion is.
I work for a small consultancy so found it difficult to a) Find time in work B)I deal with all manufacturing companies so there were certain areas were i struggled but on the hole it was manageable

If you would like any further information get in touch Kate
Admin  
#5 Posted : 15 January 2003 11:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adam Courlander
I completed my NVQ 4 in September last year through Croydon College. They couldn't have been more helpful and supportive. I had regular meetings with my assessor every 6 weeks. It is important to stick to this as rigidly as possible so you can complete the units in the time you feel is achievable. I completed mine in 12 months, but this is not set in concrete and is relatively flexible.

I had been down the diploma 1 route but was unsuccessful in the exams and felt that a work based NVQ would show how competent you are in your own job.

My objective at the end of the day was to achieve a degree equivalent qualification, which is recognised more and more these days and would recommend it to anyone.

Good luck
Admin  
#6 Posted : 15 January 2003 12:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hilary Charlton
Hi Mark

I finished my NVQ4 in February last year having spent 21 months on it. When I started it I had a 7 year old daughter and a 4 year old son and I was working 9-2 and then picking the kids up straight away so time was an issue.

I would not say it was a joy - it wasn't, it was hard work, but every unit I got signed off gave me a degree of satisfaction, particularly unit G010 which was a mammoth task. As my assessor said, it's all down here from now and I completed the last 5 sections in a third of the time it took me to complete the first 5 - he was right.

Filing and organised approach are vital to this, the early units provide 90% of the evidence for the later units.

I reckon that if I could do it with having two young children and a job then anyone could. The satisfaction I got when I finally passed was amazing - I was immediately accepted as a Member of IOSH. I took mine through the British Safety Council who were very good and the assessor was very knowledgeable.

Good luck

Hilary
Admin  
#7 Posted : 15 January 2003 14:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Pedley
Mark,

I completed the NVQ 4 supported by BCS College and found the approach to be ideal.

I disagree with comments re "academically gifted", it is just a different approach to meeting the same end.

The good thing about the NVQ system is that you can taylor your studying to produce project work that has positive benefits for your employer.

During the course of my studies, one of the topics I was involved in was the development of new procedures and training to supplement COMAH compliance for the company. The work complemented an element for my NVQ and was critically appraised by my NVQ mentor. This demonstrated a win - win for my employer as I spent the minimum amount of time off the job and produced positive benefits for the organisation. Something that sitting exams doesn't really do.

In terms of being job related, NVQ's are spot on. The old acronym "not very qualified" is definately not what I experienced.

One cautionary note, you really need to be working in an environment that will give you the appropriate exposure to the requirements of the NVQ. Working experience is important. I entered in to the process whilst working as a safety advisor with over 25 years under my belt. I also had undertaken a fire engineering degree course and other professional examinations during my career.

So read carefully the requirements for your NVQ and get a good mentor would be my advice before diving in. NVQ's are not an easy alternative to exams, just different.

Good Luck

Bob
Admin  
#8 Posted : 15 January 2003 15:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Woods
Agree completely with Bob. I consider that working in the proper environment is essential when considering NVQ4. I was also one of three who used BCS and we all agreed that support provided by companies such as their's make life a whole lot less stressful. I have know people who have had little help from their provider and it proved to be a nightmare. Perhaps when choosing a provider ask for references etc?