Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 December 2002 11:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Warne Does anyone have experience of CIEH accredited health and safety courses? One of our managers is keen to send his staff on some of them, especially since if someone does the Level 3 course they can apparently then instruct others to Level 1. Level 1 courses include Manual Handling and COSHH principles. Looking at the web site the Level 3 course is taught in only 40 hours and would thus seen roughly equivalent to IOSH Managing Safely. Can anyone recommend these courses? Any comments welcome. Diane Warne
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 December 2002 12:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Richardson I have been instructing the foundation Certificate in H&S in the Workplace and risk assessment principles and practice certificate at my company for about 3 years now and the feed back I get from these courses is very positive. I take the basic course and structure it to what goes on within my company. It works for me. Hope this helps Dave
Admin  
#3 Posted : 05 December 2002 14:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ed Carter Diane, We used to offer both the basic and the advanced courses here. Feed back was generally good from delegates. For a complete novice however, it can seem alot to absorb in about 6 or 7 hours although the exam is on the same day. Ed
Admin  
#4 Posted : 05 December 2002 14:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ed Carter Diane, I should have included that that was for the basic certificate. The advanced is, of course five days + exam and project. Ed
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 December 2002 21:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J Bristow Hi Diane The 40-hour course you referred to and the 5 days Advanced Health and Safety Course that Ed referred to is one of the same. However, in order to become an accredited tutor with the C.I.E.H. you do have to demonstrate that you have a qualification higher than that subject matter you wish to teach. The minimum qualifications that I believe the C.I.E.H will accept are as follows; · Advanced Health and Safety C.I.E.H (you can then teach Level 1) or an equivalent qualification · N.E.B.O.S.H General Certificate (you can then teach up to Level 3), but not Environmental awareness course – for this you will require an Environmental qualification. · Or other acceptable equivalent qualification In addition to the subject qualification criteria above, you have to have a teaching qualification, the minimum being: · Group Trainers Certificate (3/4 day course) C.I.E.H I deliver C.I.E.H Health and Safety and Food Hygiene courses, (Environmental Awareness – early next year) and am more than happy with the courses and the level of support from the C.I.E.H. Give them a call, I am sure they would be happy to help and send you details of the full criteria required to teach their courses. Hope this helps. Regards David B