Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 December 2002 14:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Nicholls I have been asked the question of whether or not Watch and/or Hearing Aid batteries pose a risk in flammable atmospheres. The general consensus is that the power is to low. However if there is any information written on this subject its whereabouts would be appreciated. Any thoughts ??
Admin  
#2 Posted : 05 December 2002 16:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Scott Nick, We asked the very same question of the HSE some 7/8 years ago via our trade organisation BAMA and the reply was as follows; 'There are, as far as I am aware, no electronic wris[expletive deleted]ches commonly available which have been formally approved for use in hazardous areas ie Zoned areas where explosive or flammable atmospheres may be present. Some years ago ignition tets were carried out on typical wris[expletive deleted]ches. The findings suggested that generally speaking there was no risk of ignition but under particular circumstances ignition was possible. A risk of ignition exists if lithium batteries of 3 volts (or more) are used or the watch casing becomes broken so exposing the backlighting filament to a carbon disulphide mixture. Electronic wris[expletive deleted]ches using a nominal 1.5 volts battery worn in less sensitive mixtures than CS2 are not considered to pose a risk'. This was signed by a D Pumford of the then Electrical&Control Systems Group of the HSE! As for hearing aids, you can actually get intrinsically safe variations and you need to talk to your local audiometry department within the NHS. I have just had one employee supplied with two units, 1 for each ear of course, free of charge. That said, if the type required cannot be supplied as an intrinically safe varient then risk assess and write down your decisions using the logic from above. Hope that this helps. As a matter of interest, I use a hearing aid which cannot be supplied as intrinsically safe in a LPG environment.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 December 2002 22:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Nick Generally intrinsically safe standards are descibed as an item being gas tight, thereby any operation or spark produced within the equipment not being able to cause ignition in a potentially flammable or explosive atmosphere. BASEEFA (British Approvals Service for Electrical Equipment in Flammable Atmospheres) is I understand the body that carries the current british standard, and there is a similar EU standard now. I would have considered that watches represented a very low risk, and for example, this not notmally considered to be a problem for confined spaces working, although I would suspect that waterproofed watches represent lower risk than ordinary electrically operated watches it such a problem existed. Having worked in confined spaces for over 25 years and petroleum hazard areas over the last 5, I have never heard of this being regarded as a serious risk factor before. There is more likely to be a risk factor with cameras being used during inspections and with other electrical monitoring equipment (if somebody decides to try and change batteries ect) in these areas. Contact BASEEFA and look up the EU standard via the EC Directives www sites. Regards... ~~~~~~~~~~~~