Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 06 December 2002 13:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gemma Moat hi im doing my work experience ive been tasked to do a project but im finding a question abit hard to find could some help me by explaining to me what a Competent person as outlined in health and safety legislation ?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 06 December 2002 14:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Lucas Gemma Like a recent thread on an accident definition, there are numerous. Some of which you might see now on this thread, but generally they are variations on the following: "A person who has received sufficient training, and possesses the relevant experience and/or knowledge and other required qualities to enable him/her to undertake his duties". Ken
Admin  
#3 Posted : 06 December 2002 15:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Pedley Gemma, I look at competency as being a mixture of; Training, Experience and Demonstration of a regular use of that training and experience. Regards Bob
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 December 2002 15:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick House Hi Gemma I've rooted around and found this for you. Hope it helps. Nowhere is there a prescriptive comprehensive definition of what is to be considered 'competent' - rather it is for the employer to decide and assess what is appropriate for their workplace. Possession of particular training experience or a qualification can indicate competence but cannot be the sole indicator, as for example years of on the job experience can qualify someone more effectively if they have detailed knowledge of the employer's operations. However, it is possible to identify, generally speaking, certain core capabilities and areas in which the health and safety CP should be expected to be knowledgeable: The work and activities of the employer How to identify hazards in the workplace An understanding of the concept of risk control and risk assessment Awareness of what constitute health and safety matters Ability to identify when action is required and be able to set up and implement good health and safety practices Ability to monitor such safety practices and be able to check their effectiveness and develop them as required Advocate and promote best practice standards in health and safety Lastly but very importantly have an awareness of the limitations of their knowledge and know where to go for competent advice and expertise whether within or outside the organisation. Regards Nick.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 06 December 2002 18:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith As the question of competence has come up for debate, I have taken the liberty to do some research here and come up some examples. Core competency: A proficiency in a critical functional activity, such as technical know-how or a particular business specialization that helps to provide a company's unique competitive advantage. Competence In hydrology, the largest size of particle that a river can carry. One example that I heard that from one past IOSH President, was that "Competence is the ability to describe something which is complex, in a manner which most people would easily understand". I like this one best competence n.: (also competency). 2 income large enough to live on.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 07 December 2002 16:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor 'At the end of the day', a 'competent person' is someone that a court of law would consider to be in possession of the necessary knowledge and ability to carry out a task or discharge a duty in question in a correct and proper manner. It should be appreciated that competence, as a concept, extends to any undertaking and is not peculiar to matters of health and safety.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 07 December 2002 19:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson Gemma, If some are to be believed, competence within health & safety consists of: Drifting into health and safety from another area, spending 30+ years as a safety officer (ability to ensure people are wearing their safety boots and helmets is a key attribute), posessing a tweed jacket with leather patches on the elbows and not taking an exam since your O-levels in circa 1940. On a serious note, you will find a better definition in the memorandum of guidance to the electricity at work regs 1989. Although it relates to working safely with electricity, it gives the key principles already mentioned such as training, experience, knowledge and ability to know when the situation is beyond the level of your own competence. Kind regards, Nick
Admin  
#8 Posted : 09 December 2002 13:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Murphy Gemma The Management Regulations (Reg 7) require a company to have health and safety assistance. The Approved Code of Practice (L21) describes what it defines as "competent" for the purposes of the (Management) Regulations. In partcular ACoP 48, 51 and 52. If you do not have access to this ACoP please e-mail and I will provide an extract of Regulation 7 and the guidance by return. John
Admin  
#9 Posted : 11 December 2002 13:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gemma Moat I would like to say thank you very much for all your help on answering my question . Thyank you Gemma