Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 December 2002 22:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barry Mageean Can anyone point me in the direction of where I might find information about the use of petrol driven equipment eg chainsaws, generators etc in confined spaces? Many thanks, Barry.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 December 2002 23:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Barry The simple answer is - DON'T! Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 December 2002 18:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Barry. Who would rather spend a some time with in an enclosed tank, a smoker or a person with a petrol engine driven tool kicking out carbon monoxide gas that will kill you a lot quicker than the smokers 'passive' smoke (Ho Ho... await comments). There have been a number of deaths over the years that are related to combustion engine 'fumes' finding their way into confined spaces, all of which in hindsight of course were totally preventable. I would recommend that you obtain and read a copy of the Confined Spaces Regulations 1997 - Approved Code of Practice and Guidance - with some urgency!!! This is a good document and will poiint you in the right direction for the operation of 'a safe systems of work' for a confined space. In addition, you can download the HSE (FREE) leaflet which contains good information on hwhat you should be considering for work in confined spaces from the HSE website (www.hse.gov.uk) under the free leaflets bit... Look at all this first, and if there is still no option but to use the equipment in a confined space (which I won't believe) come back to me for further advice. Regards... ~~~~~~~~~~~~
Admin  
#4 Posted : 10 December 2002 21:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By allan wood from my experience of working in confined spaces it would be better to use compressed air driven equipment or low voltage equipmenti.e.110 volt or lower.as for generators these should be positioned away from the confined space so that the exhaust gases will not be able to enter into the confined space. allan