Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 January 2003 15:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Steve Darmanin
I am a newly appointed safety executive at a container port terminal. One of the challenges is to implement an OHS management system. I will be basing on OHSAS 18002 integrated with ISO 9001:2000. I would appreciate any suggestions and or case studies.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 03 January 2003 15:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Keith Archer.
George,

Occupational Health and Safety Assessment Series OHSAS 18002: 2000 is not a standard it is the guideline to the implementation of OHSAS 18001: 1999.

Have you looked at BS 8800:1996 it is very useful on the guidance of Occupational health and safety management systems. It looks at the different styles of HS(G)65 and ISO:14001 and the links to ISO:9001.

If you are trying to convince management on H&S systems then go for one they should recognise IE: a British Standard

Happy new year
Keith
Admin  
#3 Posted : 06 January 2003 09:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond
Hi George

My experience of implementing OHS management systems is limited - so the following comments may not be 100% reliable. Even so, I feel compelled to give an alternative view. Sorry Keith!

I went to the 1-day IOSH course on safety management systems. The lecturer was very critical of BS8800 and HSG65 - as being rather non-sensical in parts. He also suggested that BS8800 was largely cribbed from HSG65 - rather than being thought-out from first principles or linked well to other quality standards. However, he felt that OHSAS 18001 was a very well thought-out standard.

BSI carry out external auditing for compliance with OHSAS 18001. So although not a BS standard, you could say that it is published by BSI and audited by them.

I am not familiar with the details of ISO 9001, however, I was under the impression on the course that it is compatable with OHSAS 18001.

Have a look at the previous thread I started on OHSAS 18001. There are plenty of good reasons for OHSAS 18001 but none of them seem to be particularly robust. Even so, it seems like a good system. I am structuring our policies and procedures around OHSAS 18001. So far, it seems to be making our procedures make far more sense.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 06 January 2003 11:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
One of the best reasons to use OHSAS 18001 is the possibility of linking to established processes concerning audit, document control, records etc which are fundamental to ISO 9000 also and can be readily adapted to cover 1,2 or 3 systems with relative ease. This is almost always one of the basic drivers to integration.

I am personally not a lover of BS 8800 or HSG65 as they are rather dated now.

One basic lack in OHSAS, and ISOs 9000 & 14000 for that matter is the lack of a Management of Change clause, the ILO document corrected this for H&S. It is a useful addition to any system.

Bob
Admin  
#5 Posted : 06 January 2003 12:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lawrence Waterman
IOSH Technical Affairs Committee (TAC) has been looking at OSH Management Systems over the past few months. The Working Party I have been chairing is close to finalising the text for publication of an IOSH Guidance Document on the current state of play (reviewing HSG65, BS 8800, OHSAS 18001 and the ILO guidance all referred to in this thread). There are also some tips and hints for implementation, and warnings about pitfalls (such as excessive paperwork). The guidance will be available soon in printed form free to members, and as with other IOSH guidance will also be posted as a PDF on our website.

To summarise the guidance:
IOSH is very much in favour of formal management sytems being introduced;
there are differences between the various systems available (e.g. OHSAS maps across to ISO 9000 albeit with different numbering; the ILO Guide is not certifiable but is being adopted by certain countries as a legal standard; etc.) but they all have a common core of Plan-Do-Check-Act.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 06 January 2003 12:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Pedley
George,
I think the standards you are using are fine. Although OSHAS 18001 is an advisory series it can be used by an accreditation body such as Lloyds as an assessment standard. BS 8800 is a bit out of date now.

We are combining 18001, 9001, and 14001 to produce a fully integrated management system.
As they are all written in a very similar manner it is far easier to produce an integrated sytem.

I would suggest you look at 14001 to pick up the environmental aspects for your management system.

Bob
Admin  
#7 Posted : 06 January 2003 17:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ste Mercer
Hi George,
As a former Safety and Quality Adviser who now works for a Certification Body, I would be happy to help clarify any issues for you.

If you wish, give me a ring on 07712 785 759 (mobile).

Steve
Admin  
#8 Posted : 20 January 2003 10:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tom Chen
the OHSAS 18001 really has no direct clause concerning " management of change"

but if you like, actually, the clause 4.3.1 and clause 4.3.2 can be served as this purpose.

as required by the criteria, hazards and applicable laws should be updated.so before any change, the hazards and related laws should be identified in advance, the control measure, and subsequent measurement should be taken. Of course, to make you manage the change easily, such procedure is preferred to be in place.

The OHSAS 18001 is based on PDCA principle, it is a good tool to manage HSE. but remember it just a tool, has its limit. when you want to implement OHSAS 18001, please pay attention to the pratice, no document game.

Tom