Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 07 January 2003 11:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster
With respect to Health & Safety service provision, I am trying to influence change in a management structure which I "inherited", and which to me is illogical.

Whilst in an ideal world the H&S adviser would report to the chief executive/MD, for various administrative reasons this isn't going to happen.

However, I do not believe the post can be effective at a strategic level if reporting to any tier less than an executive director - ie the "policy makers" as defined by HSG 65.

Presently, Occupational Health is regarded (not by me) as a clinical activity, reporting to a clinical directorate. I report to the Director of Finance (overall responsibility for risk management!), whilst our Moving and Handling adviser and trainer reports to nursing management. Training dept is under the Director of Human Resources.

I want all to be working together under the same (Human Resources?) Director, with a co-ordinatd and cohesive Occupational Health & Safety function. I have many strong arguments for my case, but would also like to hear how H&S is organised within other organisations, particularly Healthcare. Hopefully this will add weight by demonstrating that my view is generally shared by my peers and betters!

Thanks
John
Admin  
#2 Posted : 07 January 2003 11:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jayne Freeman
Hello John,

In our Primary Care Trust, I (Health and Safety Advisor) report to the Associate Director of Human Resources and Organisational Development who in turn reports to the Organisational Development Director. So does the Food Safety Advisor and Manual Handling Advisor. We buy in the services of a Fire Safety Advisor from a neighbouring Acute Trust who liaises with me. The Risk Co-ordinator (clinical) reports to the Clinical Governance Manager and works closely with myself. I have the responsibility of Risk (non clinical). I also work closely with the Infection Control Nurse who reports to the Director of Nursing. I have direct access to the Chief Exec if necessary. We also buy in the services of Occupational Health from our neighbouring Trust and this is managed by Human Resources. Our Training department also comes under Human Resources.

Hope this is of help to you.

Regards,

Jayne Freeman
Admin  
#3 Posted : 07 January 2003 12:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gareth Bryan
Hi John

I manage an Occupational Health and Safety Unit for a local Authority. The Unit comprises of Safety Advisers/trainers, Occupational Hygienist, Admin Staff, Nurses, and health/first aid trainers. The Unit is headed by a Consultant Occupational Physician and reports to the HR Director.
Hope this helps.
Gareth
Admin  
#4 Posted : 07 January 2003 13:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott
Hi John, I shared your belief that to be effective, direct reporting to an executive director was essential. However, this is very dependant upon the "Director" actually wanting that to happen. In my experience they tend to trade bits of their "empire" to others to end up with the bits they are actually comfortable with. Having said that, we (the Safety department - comprising Health & Safety, Food Safety and Fire safety)work to a Deputy Director level post that also looks after Facilities, Occupational Health (which includes Moving & Handling), Transport & Estates. Our boss reports to the nominated Director for Risk - in our case, this is the Director of Human Resources and Strategic Development. We all, (that is the head of Occ health and myself as head of Safety) have direct access to both our Director and the Chief Exec in times of need. This system works well for us as we have the ideal in terms of getting things actioned on a day to day basis through our immediate line manager, but if we want strategic action we go "top down" ie straight to the top. Hope this is helpful.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 07 January 2003 13:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By steve williamson
Hi John,

We are currently involved in a 4 into 1 merger of acute trusts in the North West. This has resulted in the establishment of a Governance Director post reporting to the Medical Director to oversee H & S, Clinical Risk, Claims, Clinical Audit etc. as we all had wildly differing arrangements before.

Occ. Health remains with the H R Director.

This is likely to be the pattern elsewhere as it complies with everything coming out of DoH, CNST, RPST etc.

Hope this isn't too frightening,

Steve Williamson
Admin  
#6 Posted : 08 January 2003 09:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
Here in the private sector, I report directly to the chief executive - as does the Human Relations Adviser. As the health and safety function extends beyond employee matters to residents, persons in care, pupils in our schools, etc, etc I feel it best that the function is not subjugated to a post solely dealing with staff personnel issues. Needless to say, good liaison is essential with Human Relations and all others having associated areas of responsibility - including Finance and Insurance.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 08 January 2003 11:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Lucas
John

The Global Corporation I used to work for had H&S organised as follow.

Occupational Health, including Occupational Hygienists, Admin Staff, Occ' Health Nurses, first aiders is headed by an Occupational Physician who reports to P&O or more commonly now the Human Resources Director.

In terms of Safety, Health (& Environment), I and the department reported directly to the Plant Manager, this was common throughout the corporation worldwide.

All sites have a Training Department which is under P&O or more commonly now Human Resources.

Ken

Admin  
#8 Posted : 08 January 2003 13:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John D Crosby
John
Whilst agreeing that a co-ordinated approach from all involved is the ideal I once reported to the Finance Director and the trainres reported to the HR director. I took on the role of ensuring we co-ordinated our activities but found that the Finance Director had 'more pull' at Board Level particularly if I put the problems in financial terms. A trade off might be worthwhile considering.
Cheers
John C

Admin  
#9 Posted : 10 January 2003 11:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster
Many thanks for all the helpful responses, both here on the forum and by direct e-mail.

John, I agree the Finance Director is probably one of the better ones to report to, as I do at present. However, changes are proposed with which I don't agree. As with all office politics, objection works best when a reasoned alternative is proposed.

Ken, as you are multi-sited, I take it that the Plant Manager will be the senior person for that site.

John
Admin  
#10 Posted : 10 January 2003 12:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Lucas
Yes John the Plant Manager was the most senior person at each site.

Ken