Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 January 2003 08:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Jones Hi there, I am looking for some comments/advice on setting up a Health and Safety management system as I have been given this remit as part of a restructure. At the moment there is no system, so I am looking for advice on how to carry ou this duty. I am currently reading through HSG65 for a start but would like to know if there are any other systems that could be recommended. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks Mike
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 January 2003 08:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Pedley Mike, I suggest you get hold of a copy of OHSAS 18001 1999. Bob
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 January 2003 09:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Hammond Hi Mike OHSAS 18001 gives the bare bones and OHSAS 18002 explains it in more detail. Both documents are a very 'dry' read and lack the gloss of HS65 but if you take the time to really study them - they make more sense than HS65. I would suggest that you book yourself on the IOSH 1 day Safety Management Systems course which compares OHSAS 18001, HSG 65 and BS8800. The basic message of the course was that HSG65 and BS8800 are dated - where as OHSAS 18001 is the one to go for. Having said that, HSE and Environmental Health Officers love HSG65 and I seriously wonder if many of them have heard of OHSAS 18001! You could also invite organisations like BSI or LLoyd's Register to come in and give you proposals for a gap analysis and external accreditation to OHSAS 18001 to get an idea of what's involved.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 January 2003 11:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Lucas Mike There is a thread recently posted on OHS Management Systems (06/01/03) that might provide some advice, specifcally a point from Lawrence Waterman in that, "the IOSH Technical Affairs Committee (TAC) has been looking at OSH Management Systems. The Working Party is close to finalising the text for publication of an IOSH Guidance Document on the current state of play reviewing HSG65, BS 8800, OHSAS 18001 and the ILO guidance. There are also some tips and hints for implementation, and warnings about pitfalls. The guidance will be available soon in printed form free to members, and as with other IOSH guidance will also be posted as a PDF on our website". Watch this website and SHP for news of it's availability. Ken
Admin  
#5 Posted : 08 January 2003 13:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson Any system which you use will have to be tailored to the organisation and the way it does things, both HSG65 and 18001 are good at this. Dont feel that the number of the system is relevant it is the way in which it is implemented. HSE/EHO use HSG 65 as it is the regulators bible, provides consistency of enforcement etc not because they have not heard of 18001,I would attend the IOSH course and / or maybe get a feel what others within your sector are doing and take it from there.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 08 January 2003 19:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith I have made enquiries about the new IOSH Guidance document on OSH Management Systems and this is due to be published by the second week of February. Having seen the draft document, I would recommend that you obtain a copy of this as soon as you can.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 10 January 2003 11:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mike Jones Thanks so far for all responses, your comments are appreciated and helpful. Mike