Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 13 January 2003 21:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle
Dear, All.

I have recently come across asbestos containing materials in a rope used as a seal in the wheel of large trolly (bogie cart) that carried heavy construction materials into an autoclave. The material have to removed at periodic intervals as the weight of the trolly, where the axle of the wheel enters the hud (where the seal is) changes shape from round to eliptical with wear. The rope also deteriorates and can be seen in assembled existing trolleys sticking out of the hub (between the hub and axle) which can be pulled or drop off.

It is not yet established (awaiting analysis results) what type of asnestos this is, but more than likely Chrisotile (white).

The seal is removed by disassembling the hub on a bench and levering out and wire brushing the hub (!!!!!!). a complete turnaround of all these hubs (i.e. complete renewal) by the current system would take in excess of 5 years....

We have though of setting up an enclosure with a fume cabinet (negative pressure) cabinet and training guys to work in this environment to remove the seals, and replacing with a non ACM seal. The only other option would be to send these outside to a contractor to perform the task.

I would welcome comments and advice on best practice and possible solutions to this problem. All replies welcomed...

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Admin  
#2 Posted : 14 January 2003 09:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall
Without seeing the process it is difficult to pass comment Stuart. Suffice to say that all the normal precautions are taken eg the enclosure is attached to the hygiene unit!! Air monitoring is carried out within the enclosure and outside (for re-assurance). We often suggest flame retardent sheeting for the enclosure but not everyone uses this.
Approved RPE and coveralls are used.
What I can say is that the process of scrubbing the remains of gaskets (crysotile) does generate high readings often well beyond the mel.
Of course the involvement (communication) with others is important prior to any work being carried out.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 January 2003 12:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle
Tony.

Thank you for your thoughts. I am reading up on EH10 and other documents related and will keep you posted on what method is decided upon, although this work may prove more problematic than first realised if the information in the docs is anything to go by...

Stuart
Admin  
#4 Posted : 20 January 2003 08:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Birchall
Stuart, thanks for your comments. You generally find that no matter how much legislation is available, there are always practical issues that need to be tackled on projects like this. The more people involved then the less likliehood of things going wrong.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 20 January 2003 09:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker
Stuart,

As the others have said its difficult to advise without seeing the job.

Can I suggest if you do decide to do this in house you try to submerge the item and work on it in a water bath or at least give it a good soaking - it helps shift the stuck on bits and minimises the respirable asbestos.

For replacements, have a look at James Walker (no relation!) on the web , they do a safer replacement of virtually anything that was asbestos. Actually, they might provide tech help with your removal problem.