Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 January 2003 12:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brendan Cleaver
Do any members' companies use psychometric testing at recruitment and has anyone looked at propensity for risk as one measure in this testing.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 January 2003 10:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert K Lewis
Better to not go here - After all one needs to draw up the psychometric profile of a risk taker - It will look something like the sum of all Human Beings!

I have had experience of them and they can be an indicator but I for one would not rely on them totally. I heard somewhere that a govt dept is using them as a selection for redundancy process, this is a total abuse in my humble opinion.

Bob
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 January 2003 10:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker
Psychometric testing is modern snake oil.
I've yet to see science backing this highly dubious practice.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 17 January 2003 18:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert M Edwards
Pychometric testing has laid down standards and these do not include risk propensity. If you pay for them and loads of businesses do, then you can interpret the results in accordance with the job role. Most simply measure IQ results using a variety of methods.

Risk propensity would be almost impossible to measure as any fair measurement would need to include so many variables.

What areas of risk did you have in mind?

Admin  
#5 Posted : 17 January 2003 18:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Robert, you asked:

'What areas of risk did you have in mind?'

The only one I can think of at the moment is the risk when you ask the man on the Clapham omnibus what he thinks about it.

I'm beginning to think all my daily efforts are wasted when I could be discussing risk propensity and getting some real meaning in my life.

Geoff

Admin  
#6 Posted : 18 January 2003 11:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson
Dear All,

Is this a new variant of the "Accident Proneness Theory" of accident causation, i.e. are there individuals who have a propensity to have accidents? If so we can get rid of them and have a safety culture!

Psychometric testing describes a range of exercises used by employers as a 'tool' to gauge an individual's aptitude or personality. When used correctly, the tests give additional insight into candidates and verify points coming out of interview.

Because tests only provide part of the answer, trained and experienced interpreters should use them as part of a testing and interview process.

Going back to the earlier question about accident proneness, testing for attributes like 'risk taking' is nonsensical unless you know whether the attribute is good or bad in the particular circumstances. Furthermore testing for this one attribute is likely to be non-productive as risk taking is almost certainly situation dependant to some degree.

Regards Adrian Watson
Admin  
#7 Posted : 18 January 2003 12:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert M Edwards
Ah well Geoff, some of us can consider the man on the Clapham omnibus at the same time as doing other things!

Admin  
#8 Posted : 18 January 2003 13:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Multitasking? I haven't got time for that!

Geoff