Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 January 2003 13:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gerry Gorman I have recently accepted the position of Health & Safety Adviser with an Acute NHS Trust, and I am currently researching a number of issues before I take up the Post. One of these issues relates to Workplace Transport, and I was wondering if anyone has recently carried out a Risk Assessment on this activity (particularly with regard to an Acute Trust) and if so, have they identified specific areas of concern, which require attention. Thanking you in anticipation of your help. Gerry
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 January 2003 13:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Gerry The only transport issues of concern are the electric tugs used around site. Ventilated recharging areas to avoid buildup of hydrogen, testing competency of drivers, drivers health checks, security of keys, daily/weekly checks, traffic routes. Community Midwives transport - safety of cylinders and appropriate storage, provision of COSHH cards, insurance cover, hazard stickers. Contractors vehicles - parking restrictions, manouevring around site, speed. Patient transport - luckily this is provided by another Trust but usual vehicle issues apply - speeding, parking etc Regards
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 January 2003 14:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alison Dando Add to Bryn's list: public transport, we have buses coming onto our site as well as taxis. That means controlling traffic congestion, parking areas (legal and illegal on site), road markings, blind spots, separation of pedestrians from traffic - looking at crossing points - some of ours are incorporated into speed restrictive devices and have mini belisha beacons and coloured blocks and ramps for wheel chairs. Some hospitals have one way systems. Look at all external lighting and what signs can be seen at night as well as during the day. Look at your receipt points for goods, so you need to consider the offloading of HGVs, fuel and oxygen tankers and offloading bays, road markings for turning- same thing applies to waste compounds. What about internal traffic, convoys of waste bins and zimmer frames don't mix etc. etc. Start of by walking all these areas and come up with a series of risk assessments, then you can do your costings. for ideas go into silver platter and look for publications covering transport.