Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 January 2003 15:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason McQueen
Hi all,
Could someone please send me some information about the risk assessments that the fire brigade make before entering a building when attending a call out (I'm told they make them). Clearly this system has to be very quick and easy due to the time restraints that are required in order to quickly implement a rescue. I'm trying to devise a risk assesment system for my company that can be done instantly with the minimum of complication and expertise. I thought that this might be a good place to start looking. We already have a machine based risk assessment system as well as a task based assessment but these can both take an hour or so to complete. I want something that quickly and easily quantify a risk.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 January 2003 15:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter
Jason

Try the Fire Service College at Moreton-in-Marsh; what they don't know about fire fighting isn't worth knowing. I don't know their web address, I'm afraid.

Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 January 2003 16:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Neal Robertson
Fire service college is at www.fireservicecollege.ac.uk

Agree they could be your best bet.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 17 January 2003 08:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Pedley
Jason,

There is an excellent fire service guide called "Dynamic Management of Risk at Operational Incidents" isbn; 0113412215

Bob
Admin  
#5 Posted : 19 January 2003 11:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle
Jason.

I have copies of the documents you may require.

Email me (double click on my name above in blue)
Admin  
#6 Posted : 19 January 2003 11:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By D Potter
The fire brigade assess the risk when they issue fire certificates, they also re-assess the risk occassionaly and male a fire plan, this tells them of plans routes dangers and risks at a certain locatuion, they use this allowing them to quickly assess risks/hazards.
If you are concerned you can offer the fire brigade to come and re-assess your establishment and update their plan, you can also invite them to your fire drills. this would give them a good insight into what happens in the case of a fire at your building.