Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 January 2003 13:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Bruce My employer, a Local Education Authority, is attempting to put together a package that would formalise testing of microwave ovens for radiation leakage. The intention is to link this with PAT tests and ideally, have the test performed by the same individual that performs the PAT test. The action is union lead who are championing a perceived risk on behalf of their membership. I am concerned that we will, or rather, the schools will, spend a significant amount of money to ensure these tests occur. The purchase costs of equipment, training and time, will need to be recovered by the "maintenance" division. My query is this: As most modern microwave ovens pose a very slight radiation leakage risk, do we need to test for this at all? Any feedback from others who may have travelled this road before would be much appreciated. On a seperate topic, I can remember reading somewhere, that all tractors should have seat belts fitted by a certain date. I can no longer find this reference (did I dream it)? Any comments again, gratefully received.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 January 2003 15:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Donaldson We have over 400 domestic microwave ovens in student accommodation which we check annually and have been doing this for many years. We have never found one that has failed on a microwave leakage test. What we have found is damaged microwave ovens which need attention due to damage or non functioning parts. There have been many discussions about dropping the leakage test but on the basis that we would in any case PAT test them annually and check that they work, the time additional time to carry out a leakage test is not significant and reassures the students who use the microwaves. We also check microwaves used in our laboratories and our catering outlets and again have not found any problems associated with leakage but again kept up the leakage testing as a reassurance to the users.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 22 January 2003 15:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt Similar to John - only ever found one that gave an indication of a reading and that was cured by wiping the seal. Your risk assessment should show that the checks are not required - why waste resources on it? Geoff
Admin  
#4 Posted : 22 January 2003 16:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John D Crosby Ian An organisation I worked for tested all its microwave ovens annually. They tested for leakage but never found any problems with catering standard ovens but did find some problems with domestic ones which were being used to cook a lot of food. They also tested at the same time the heating eficiency by heating up a measured volume of water and noting the temperature rise. The efficiency was then calculated using a formula which I cannot remember other than it was simple. As the tests were carried out simultaneously we continued with the leakage test. Cheers John C
Admin  
#5 Posted : 22 January 2003 16:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Thomason It's a great pity that people perceive risks from this kind of "radiation leakage" out of all proportion to the actual risk. There is a very real risk of burns, scalds and fires resulting from the use of microwave ovens - I hope your colleagues give equal attention to ensuring that people know how to use microwaves safely. There have been many injuries caused by unwise use of microwaves. This week we had a fire in one of our departments, caused by someone attempting to roast peanuts (in their shells of course), on a plastic plate, in a microwave oven, then going off and forgetting it. Result: peanuts and plate converted to carbon. I have also witnessed a spectacular explosion of a glass bottle containing a solution that had been heated in a microwave, which suddenly came to the boil explosively when it was being taken out of the microwave. The boiling liquid and bits of glass flew several metres across the room. Nobody hurt, luckily! Regards Diane
Admin  
#6 Posted : 22 January 2003 17:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi There is a Health & Safety Executive / Local Authorities Enforcement Liaison Committee (HELA) Circilar on MICROWAVE OVENS - EXPOSURE CONTROL.Web-address below:- http://www.hse.gov.uk/lau/lacs/60-3.htm
Admin  
#7 Posted : 23 January 2003 11:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Bruce Thankyou very much to all those who responded. It's encouraging to note that there is a feeling that this sort of test may not be "reasonably practicable"! I think the advice that I shall give to schools will be to perform risk assessments on an individual site basis and let the Head Teacher decide if he/she wants to spend their budget on testing. Thanks once again.