Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 January 2003 09:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
The ACoP (on the back of PUWER 1998)'Safe Use of Woodworking Machinery' contains a number of requirements for Stop Controls eg braking, and the dates when they have to be implemented.

Is there any similar documentation for equipment in engineering workshops such as lathes, vertical and horizontal milling machines etc?

Thanks

Geoff
Admin  
#2 Posted : 28 January 2003 11:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker
Geoff,

I assume you mean e-stops for isolating power from these machines?
I thought it came in with Puwer '92 ; I seem to remember a cut off date for equipment already in use by about '97.
This might be my memory playing me up however.

I'm surprised that anyone has machines of this nature that still have no e-stops.
Regs or not; they are considered to be standard practice in engineering and any lack is indefensible, in my humble opionion.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 28 January 2003 11:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
No Jim, it's the braking I'm concerned about once the emergency switch has been operated. For example with woodworking machinery a dim saw has to stop rotating within 10 seconds. I can't seem to find anything similar for engineering equipment.

Geoff
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 January 2003 12:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch
Geoff,

MTTA, now MTA have published a series of codes on the safeguarding of engineering machinery. See

http://www.mta.org.uk/co...loads/subsections/40.doc

Also see various of the HSE PM Series guidance notes and HS(G) books eg on drills.

Peter
Admin  
#5 Posted : 28 January 2003 13:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker
Geoff,

Sorry (but pleased, if you see what I mean) that I got the wrong end of the stick.

I’ve had DC injection brakes fitted to quite a few pillar and radial drills where adiquate guarding made work impossible. They are quite cheap. PD 5304 describes several braking methods.

I’ve visited other engineering sites and am frequently surprised by the lack of adequate guards (an absolute duty way back to and beyond the Factories act) – difficulty to do the work is the usual reason given.
My interpretation of Puwer 98 (reg. 15) is that near instantaneous stop are required in situations where entanglement can’t be eliminated by guards. Just in case you are not aware:

HSG 129 – H&S in Engineering workshops
PM 83 (HSG44)– Drilling Machines guarding
(BSI) PD 5304:2000 Safe use of Machinery – expensive but well worth having.
RDM Engineering for DC brakes
PILZ UK for some very good freebee stuff on machine guarding

Safety of Machinery – principals of risk assessment BS EN 1057:1997
Safety of Machinery – safety distances……BS EN 294:1992
Admin  
#6 Posted : 29 January 2003 13:34:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Thanks for the responses, unfortunately unless I'm missing something they haven't helped.

I was looking for something similar to the Woodworking Machinery ACoP where the HSC provide dates for compliance for braking within certain times.

Thanks again.

Geoff
Admin  
#7 Posted : 29 January 2003 14:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Dawson
I don't think you'll find it Geoff. As far as I'm aware the only explicit requirement re PUWER is in relation to the specific woodworking machines listed in the ACOP.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 29 January 2003 15:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Geoff Burt
Brian

I think you are right. I assumed the HSE/HSC would have run a similar requirement for engineering equipment in parallel.

Thanks

Geoff
Admin  
#9 Posted : 30 January 2003 09:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor
I'm not aware of a similar publication either but see the ACOP interpretation of Regulation 15 (Para 132 in L1140): 'For all other machines the work should be completed no later than 5 December 2008'. I appreciate that this is within the woodworking publication but wonder whether it was (or, perhaps, still is) the intention to amplify L22 for non-woodworking machines along these lines? It is interesting that the ACOP completion dates for woodworking braking devices appear under Regulation 15 - which came into effect with the introduction of PUWER so we now have a duty to have controls to bring the equipment to a safe condition in a safe manner, to a complete stop if necessary for health and safety and switch of the power after stopping if necessary.