Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 January 2003 11:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Anju Aslam
Hi friends,

I just want to know why noise induced hearing loss is not reportable under riddor. I can not think of any reasons. Would like to hear your points of view.

Anju
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 January 2003 00:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Raymond Rapp
Anju,

Cannot tell you for sure but I suggest it is probably difficult to prove would be the main answer.

However, there are also a number of different ill health and injuries that are not included in RIDDOR. Specifically the number one occupational ill health - stress.

Ray
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 January 2003 12:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Youel
It is already reportable re the Social Security Laws. Therefore the powers that be may have thought that noise was adequately covered.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 January 2003 14:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi
The "Draft proposals for the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations 199-" Consultative Document CD 74 in April 1994 stated:

The commonest occupational disease omitted from the schedule is noise-induced hearing loss. This has a long latency and usually does not result in absence from work, which means that a medical certificate is rarely issued. It is therefore difficult to see how this condition could successfully be included in reporting arrangements specifically linked to a doctor's certificate.