Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 January 2003 11:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Minty
I am preparing a powerpoint presentation for teachers on "work experience for school pupils" and I am looking for some good pictures to put in to jazz the presentation up a little.

What I am looking for are either clip art, or preferably, photos of good examples of poor H&S. Also of work at height, power saws, guillotines etc. the type of things that are prohibited for the pupils.

Any help would be appreciated.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 January 2003 12:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By C Newby
Ian

Have a look on the following web site. It has a lot of photos (mainly from abroad) of poor health and safety (some very graphic).
www.safteng.net/
Hope it's helpful.
Craig Newby
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 January 2003 13:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West
I agree with Mr Newby. The Safteng site is very good for obtaining some images of poor H and S and I use some of these images in my training programmes. However do take note that some of the images available are extremely graphic and may cause some upset to some people. I advise you do not view the images in front of children and those of a weak disposition just incase you stumble across such an image.

Kev West
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 January 2003 13:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bill Elliott
Ian - the HSE recently published a FREE video on Work Experience - check their web page.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 29 January 2003 13:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Minty
Thanks, the web site is pretty good.

The schools already have their free copy of the video, the HSE wouldn't give me a copy as "I'm not a school" even though I'm the authority's work experience person, and I wanted to preview the video before I told our schools to order it.

The presentation is to make the teachers more aware of the procedures that they have to follow and I was wanting to use "shock tactics" to try ensure that they do.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 29 January 2003 13:40:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West
Ian,

I don't wish to tell you how to do your job but through my experience of Health and safety Training it has to be said that shock tactics have a very limited effect on the dissemination of knowledge etc. I tend to use near miss images and/or 'look how silly/dangerous these people are' to get the message across, in addition the injection of humour into the training session seems to be quite effective.

Should you wish I could email you some of the images I use (some of which are available on the Safteng site after a bit of a search).

Kev
Admin  
#7 Posted : 29 January 2003 14:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Minty
Thanks Kev, if you could e-mail some of the pics, that would be great.

When I said that I was going to use shock tactics, it was more to keep the teachers awake and interested, as they seem to have a pretty short span of interest when it comes to H&S.

Of course, a sense of humour is a tool that I regularly use when delivering training, but it also seems that some of our teachers seem to have had a sense of humour bypass!
Admin  
#8 Posted : 29 January 2003 14:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin West
Will send some of the pics to you Ian.

As a person who is to be married in the summer to a Teacher I can concur that some teachers have indeed had a sense of humour bypass!!

Kev
Admin  
#9 Posted : 29 January 2003 14:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Shaun
Try this one, don't use the accident photos as they are a bit nasty. In shocker section there are some crackers of bad health and safety practice.

http://www.safteng.net/